[comp.sys.mac.comm] Anyone know about the new PacerLink

saluzzo@hydra1a.cs.utk.edu (Brian Saluzzo) (06/18/91)

Does anyone out there know anything else about the new
version of PacerLink that someone from Pacer Software
said was being released.  Supposedly, it was going to`
list for around $250 (and hopefully retail for a heck
of a lot cheaper!) and be available everywhere, not
just direct.  It is supposed to be the easiest and
fastest tool around.

As a side note, I am using Pacerlink 5.0 to connect
into the UNIX system here and I am getting nowhere
with file transfers.  I've tried all of the available
transfer, send. and receive options on pacerlink and
every possible setting for unix and kermit under unix
that I can think of.  I, too, like ZTerm, but also
love the softkey feature of PacerLink.  Unfortunately,
if I can't download files to and from my Macintosh, Pacer
Link isn't a whole lot of good then.  Interesting, though,
is the fact that I can download files FROM my mac to a
VMS machine but not from the VMS machine to my mac and
neither way under UNIX.  Any ideas would be greatly
appreiciated.

Brian

*  COMMANDER SALAMANDER    |   Programming : n. The art of debugging *
*                          |      a blank sheet of paper.            *
*  University of Tennessee |                                         *
*                          |   Remember, it's a great big disco      *
*  INTERnet :              |   World out there, and you're never     *
*  saluzzo@cs.utk.edu      |   Dead until you're out of quarters!    *
*                          |                                         *
*  BITnet                  |                                         *
*  saluzzo@utkcs.bitnet    |   I understand less and less...         *
*                          |      and I am happy not understanding!  *

lauger@ssdvx2.mdcbbs.com (06/19/91)

In article <1991Jun18.162400.12566@cs.utk.edu>, saluzzo@hydra1a.cs.utk.edu (Brian Saluzzo) writes:
> Does anyone out there know anything else about the new
> version of PacerLink that someone from Pacer Software
> said was being released.  Supposedly, it was going to`
> list for around $250 (and hopefully retail for a heck
> of a lot cheaper!) and be available everywhere, not
> just direct.  It is supposed to be the easiest and
> fastest tool around.
>
> As a side note, I am using Pacerlink 5.0 to connect
> into the UNIX system here and I am getting nowhere
> with file transfers.  I've tried all of the available
> transfer, send. and receive options on pacerlink and
> every possible setting for unix and kermit under unix
> that I can think of.  I, too, like ZTerm, but also
> love the softkey feature of PacerLink.  Unfortunately,
> if I can't download files to and from my Macintosh, Pacer
> Link isn't a whole lot of good then.  Interesting, though,
> is the fact that I can download files FROM my mac to a
> VMS machine but not from the VMS machine to my mac and
> neither way under UNIX.  Any ideas would be greatly
> appreiciated.
>
> Brian

Pacerlink requires software running on the host to do file transfers.  On
our Vax, there is a process called PCLink that PacerLink connects to.
If you don't have PCLink running on your host, I think all you can do is
spool using the send text file feature.
---
Opinions are mine, or someone elses, but definitely not MDSSC's!!
Internet:  lauger@ssdvax.mdcbbs.com
UUCP:  {uunet,decwrl,att}!ssdvax.mdcbbs.com!lauger  (714) 896-1393

matt@pacvax.UUCP (Matt Kingman) (06/20/91)

(Brian Saluzzo) writes:
> Does anyone out there know anything else about the new
> version of PacerLink that someone from Pacer Software
> said was being released.  Supposedly, it was going to`
> list for around $250 (and hopefully retail for a heck
> of a lot cheaper!) and be available everywhere, not
> just direct.  It is supposed to be the easiest and
> fastest tool around.

I try not to refer to PacerTerm as the "new" PacerLink.  It's a distinctly
new product written from the ground up, although, it does share many
features with PacerLink, like SoftKeys and KeyMappings.  PacerTerm does
not "replace" PacerLink.  Support and sales of PacerLink will continue.
PacerTerm lists for $249 and is available from us now and should be available
through your favorite mail order place real soon (we've already shipped
shrink-wrapped kits to our distributor).  I'm sure the mail order prices
will be significantly less expensive.

> As a side note, I am using Pacerlink 5.0 to connect
> into the UNIX system here and I am getting nowhere
> with file transfers.  I've tried all of the available
> transfer, send. and receive options on pacerlink and
> every possible setting for unix and kermit under unix
> that I can think of.  I, too, like ZTerm, but also
> love the softkey feature of PacerLink.  Unfortunately,
> if I can't download files to and from my Macintosh, Pacer
> Link isn't a whole lot of good then.  Interesting, though,
> is the fact that I can download files FROM my mac to a
> VMS machine but not from the VMS machine to my mac and
> neither way under UNIX.  Any ideas would be greatly
> appreiciated.

Your problem with UNIX is that PacerLink only supports PacerFT file
transfers (unlike PacerTerm which supports PacerFT, Text, XMODEM, ZMODEM,
and Kermit).  In order to perform file transfers with your UNIX machine,
you need to be running the PacerLink host software which you are not (I
know, I checked).  However,  your university does have PacerLink on VMS.
I'm not sure what's causing your 1-way VMS problem, but if you email me
some more info, I can help you out.

/Matt
---
Matt Kingman