[comp.sys.mac.comm] Need communication program for IIsi

sueb@vice.ICO.TEK.COM (Sue Bergquist) (06/22/91)

I'm trying to use my Macintosh to talk to the UNIX vax at work.  (A long-
distance call, so experimentation is expensive....)

My setup:
	IIsi 2/40, System 6.0.7
	Apple 1200 model (with a custom-built cable, since the local dealer
			       wasn't able to supple one)

1)  I have Works, which comes with a communcations program.  I configured it
	with the settings I used to use running MacTerminal
	(version 1-something) on my old 512k Mac.  Works dials the vax
	OK and gets a connection, but the vax immediately hangs up.
	[ I borrowed a second cable to make sure the cable wasn't
	 the problem and got the same behavior.
	  I also experimented a bit with changing the settings, but
	 had no luck. ]

	So -- has anyone out there used the Works communication program
	successfully with an si?  If so, what settings are you using?
	(I don't remember what version of Works I have, but I got it
	   just a few months ago.)

2)  Is there a version of MacTerminal that works with the si?  I was
	loaned a copy of version 2.2, but it died a quick death.

3)  What communications programs DO work with the si?  White Knight
	(version ?).

4)  With my old 512k Mac and MacTerminal, I used to use xbin on the
	vax, then macput to send the result to the mac.  Will this
	method work with the other terminal programs?

Thanks for any help!

							Sue Bergquist
							sueb@vice.ico.tek.com
							Tektronix

cjeff@silver.lcs.mit.edu (Carl J.M. Alexander) (06/22/91)

In article <7648@vice.ICO.TEK.COM> sueb@vice.ICO.TEK.COM (Sue Bergquist) writes:

>I'm trying to use my Macintosh to talk to the UNIX vax at work.  (A long-
>distance call, so experimentation is expensive....)
>
>My setup:
>	IIsi 2/40, System 6.0.7
>	Apple 1200 model (with a custom-built cable, since the local dealer
>			       wasn't able to supple one)
>

>1)  I have Works, which comes with a communcations program.  I configured it

The Works comm module is known junk--I mean, not just because it's from
Microsoft: it's junk even by their standards.  Try Zterm.  It's shareware
($35) available from most user groups, sumex, mac bulletin boards, etc.
The current version is 0.85; a new version is supposed to be coming out
any time now, but 0.85 works fine with System 7, at least in 24 bit mode.
The modem may be part of your problem as well--I've never used the Apple
1200, but I've heard quite a few complaints about it.

I doubt that the fact you're using an si has anything to do with anything;
much more likely your problems are related to system software/application
incompatibilities that didn't show up under whatever system you were running
on your 512.

>Thanks for any help!
>
>							Sue Bergquist
>							sueb@vice.ico.tek.com
>							Tektronix
You're welcome,

--Carl Alexander                  |           BCS*Mac
News Editor, The Active Window    |  The Boston Computer Society
cjeff@silver.lcs.mit.edu          |     Macintosh Users Group

conrad@popvax.uucp (M20400@c.nobili) (06/23/91)

In article <7648@vice.ICO.TEK.COM> sueb@vice.ICO.TEK.COM (Sue Bergquist) writes:

>I'm trying to use my Macintosh to talk to the UNIX vax at work.  (A long-
>distance call, so experimentation is expensive....)

>My setup:
>	IIsi 2/40, System 6.0.7
>	Apple 1200 model ...
        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ummmm....  If you are making long distance calls and downloading files (you had
asked questions about downloading too, not just doing terminal emulation...),
you should __really__ consider getting a faster modem!  If you don't have a
modem at work that goes any faster then maybe you should consider getting _two_
faster modems.  Really, you can get a _pair_ of skanky 2400 bps modems cheaply
these days.  And decent error-correcting and data-compressing 2400 bps modems
aren't too outrageous either.  Check out the ZOOM V.42bis for instance, found
at any fly-by-night mail-order place in the back of MacWEEK....

I bought myself a pair of USRobotics Courier V.32bis (14,400 bps) modems as I
knew setting up my own path into work was the only way it would be done right.
Obviously this is a bit expensive for casual use, but the suggestions in the
previous paragraph should be reasonable.  After all, you were able to afford a
Macintosh rather than some skungy PeeCee clone....  ;-)

I will let others respond to the serial communication program questions.  I use
Farallon PhoneNET Liaison to set up a _network_ connection to my AppleTalk net-
work at work and so have happily forgotten about most _serial_ communication
programs....

>Thanks for any help!

I _hope_ this is helpful...!  (I apologize if it's not....)

>							Sue Bergquist
>							sueb@vice.ico.tek.com
>							Tektronix

+----   C   o   n   r   a   d       C   .       N   o   b   i   l   i     ----+
|         Harvard University          | Internet: conrad@harvarda.harvard.edu |
|       Office for Info. Tech.        |           conrad@popvax.harvard.edu   |
|        Information Services         | BITNET:   CONRAD AT HARVARDA          |
|     Technical & User Services       |           CONRAD AT HARVSPHB          |
|        1730 Cambridge Street        | voice:    (617) 495-8554              |
+----    Cambridge, MA  02138         | fax:      (617) 495-0715          ----+

goebel@buster.cps.msu.edu (Chris J Goebel) (06/24/91)

I am currently using a IIsi with 'maclayers' to create this response via 2400
baud modem. This program is available from sumex where Zterm is also available
and I will vouch for its compatiblity.

Hope this helps-Chris