[comp.sys.mac.comm] Looking for Mac<->Sun Mail Recommendations

brett@jericho.uunet.uu.net (Brett Cheng) (06/22/91)

I'm looking for recommendations for a mail system for several Macs
connected to a Sun network.

Here is our setup:

- Macs connected by Ethernet to a Sun network.
- Macs running standard AppleShare.
- file server and print spooling on the Suns where the server is running
  IPT's uShare software - anyone with a unix login can mount Mac volumes.
- in addition to file serving/print spooling, we use NCSA Telnet to get
  login and ftp access to the Suns.

Mail System Requirements:

- must run with current file sharing configuration i.e. on the Mac side
  must coexist with standard EtherTalk AppleShare.
- must talk to Sun mail system, using Sun as mail server.
  (don't want to run a Mac as a dedicated mail server)
- should use unix login names for addressing, so don't want separate list of
  Mac user addressess and Sun user addresses.
- prefer that users of both Mac and Sun can still get mail either machine.
- for the sake of simplicity to the non-unix types, we would prefer not to
  make them use Telnet to login to Sun and run command-line mail.
- must be able to print mail, file into mailboxes, reply, attach files, etc.

**> Any recommendations?

This is probably a tall order to fill...
I've read about several mail packages, but most of them seem to require
running a dedicated Mac as a mail server, and very few seem to talk to Sun
mail (SMTP). InBox Plus from Sitka (TOPS) plus their MailLink SMTP gateway
software looks like it may meet most of our requirements...

**> Anybody out there with experience with these or similar products
    on a setup like ours?

One last comment - I've tried out a few Mac uucp packages, most notably
uAccess which has a very nice interface but is probably overkill and
expensive for more than a single Mac (we currently have 6).
However a uucp-style mail system for our Macs would be okay if we can
connect over Ethernet and if the user interface is not too clunky.

**> Will any of the uucp packages such as uAccess work over Ethernet?

Brett Cheng         uunet!jericho!brett
S-MOS Systems, Inc. Vancouver Design Center

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (06/23/91)

>I'm looking for recommendations for a mail system for several Macs
>connected to a Sun network.

It sounds to me like you're a candidate for one of the POP/SMTP mailers.

Freeware:

  Techmail (mit.edu?)
  POPmail (boombox.micro.umn.edu)
  MacPost (somewhere in Sweden)
  MacPOP? (ftp.cc.berkeley.edu?)
  Eudora (ftp.cso.uiuc.edu)

Tokenware:

  MacMH (mail to networking@jessica.stanford.edu)

Commercial:

  TCP/Connect II (mail to kdb@intercon.com)

You've already mentioned the uucp products, about which I know little.  Another
one to consider may be LeeMail, a pure SMTP product (no POP server needed);
unfortunately, I don't remember where it's from.

As I'm the author of one of these packages (Eudora), I will refrain from
making any comparisons between the packages.

Authors of mail packages:
This question is asked frequently.  I usually answer it, giving a list
of products and contacts.  I'd be more than happy to put your product
in here with accurate contact info, if you just drop me a line.
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner

aslakson@cs.umn.edu (Brian Aslakson) (06/25/91)

s-dorner@uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) writes:
brett@jericho.uunet.uu.net writes:
>>I'm looking for recommendations for a mail system for several Macs
>>connected to a Sun network.
>It sounds to me like you're a candidate for one of the POP/SMTP mailers.

Since Steve has a conflict of interest, I'll add a couple things:

>  POPmail (boombox.micro.umn.edu)
HyperCard (i.e. slow), not the best written, clumsy, POP2.  The manual and
the app for reading it suck rotten eggs.

>  Eudora (ftp.cso.uiuc.edu)
Fast, small, easy, well written, slick, POP3.  Get the beta version (1.2b50
currently.  There are some minor problems, but it has a couple highly
desirable features).  The manual and the app for reading it suck rotten eggs.
There is a version of the manual supposedly in Pagemaker format, but I can't
get it to work (how hard can it be?).

I don't know about the other POP mailers.

There is popper on the unix side for POP3 (it goes in inetd).  "The POP
server is available via anonymous ftp from ftp.CC.Berkeley.EDU
(128.32.136.9, 128.32.206.12)."  Get popper-version.tar.Z

boombox probably has a popd available.

The users took an instant like to Eudora after having used POPmail.  I got
compliments for bringing it in.  What more can I say?

--
Brian Aslakson
    brian@cs.umn.edu (mail)