[comp.sys.mac.comm] System 7 Compatible MacTCP available yet?

brian@krakatoa.jsc.nasa.gov (Brian Donnell [PT4]) (06/20/91)

Does anyone know if MacTCP (version 1.1 I think) that runs with System
7.0 is available yet?

Brian Donnell
NASA/JSC
brian@krakatoa.jsc.nasa.gov

dhoyman@fammed.wisc.edu (Dirk Herr-Hoyman) (06/20/91)

In article <1991Jun19.175928.15835@aio.jsc.nasa.gov>
brian@krakatoa.jsc.nasa.gov (Brian Donnell [PT4]) writes:
>Does anyone know if MacTCP (version 1.1 I think) that runs with System
>7.0 is available yet?

Version 1.0 will work under 7.  You must move MacTCP from the Control Panel
folder and into the top level of the System Folder.  Make an alias for it in
the Control Panel so that it shows up there (although you can launch it
directly under 7).

I would note this caviat.  Pluses die with MacTCP access under 7 if you are
using a GatorBox.  I can't even Telnet, times out before I even login.  Other
Mac (LC, SE/30, Si, Ci, Cx) all appear to be ok.

gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu (Garance A. Drosehn) (06/21/91)

In article <1991Jun20.165241.18740@pslu1.psl.wisc.edu> dhoyman@fammed.wisc.edu
(Dirk Herr-Hoyman) writes:
> In article <1991Jun19.175928.15835@aio.jsc.nasa.gov>
> brian@krakatoa.jsc.nasa.gov (Brian Donnell [PT4]) writes:
> >Does anyone know if MacTCP (version 1.1 I think) that runs with System
> >7.0 is available yet?
> >
> Version 1.0 will work under 7.  You must move MacTCP from the Control Panel
> folder and into the top level of the System Folder.  Make an alias for it in
> the Control Panel so that it shows up there (although you can launch it
> directly under 7).
>
> I would note this caviat.  Pluses die with MacTCP access under 7 if you are
> using a GatorBox.  I can't even Telnet, times out before I even login.  Other
> Mac (LC, SE/30, Si, Ci, Cx) all appear to be ok.

I'm pretty sure that we have a Mac Plus running system 7 and MacTCP without any
problems (other than the font problem in NCSA Telnet, as noted elsewhere).
We're using version 1.0.1, perhaps that fixes whatever problem you're seeing?

 -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
Garance Alistair Drosehn   = gad@rpi.edu  or  gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu
ITS Systems Programmer                       (handles NeXT-type mail)
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute;  Troy NY  USA

pkh@macpkh.meediv.lanl.gov (06/21/91)

In article <1991Jun19.175928.15835@aio.jsc.nasa.gov>
brian@krakatoa.jsc.nasa.gov (Brian Donnell [PT4]) writes:
>Does anyone know if MacTCP (version 1.1 I think) that runs with System
>7.0 is available yet?

I have been running 7.0 with MacTCP 1.0.1 for several weeks now
with no problems. You just have to make sure that MacTCP is in
the Top Level of the System Folder and not in the Control Panel
Folder, Although you can make an alias of it and put it there.

jba@gorm.ruc.dk (Jan B. Andersen) (06/21/91)

gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu (Garance A. Drosehn) writes:
>I'm pretty sure that we have a Mac Plus running system 7 and MacTCP without any
True, MacTCP 1.0.1 will usually work with System 7.0, but can (according to
Apple?) sometimes fail when run with VM (or was it in 32-bit mode?). Is this
what Apple call "System 7 compatible" as opposed to "System 7 friendly" ?

I have experienced some hangs with MacTCP (I think), mostly when using
Personel File Share and having active clients while running with VM on. Can
anyone reproduce this?
---
Jan B. Andersen <jba@dat.ruc.dk>             ("SIMULA does it with CLASS")

carlos@rkna50.riken.go.jp (Carlos Alberto) (06/24/91)

HyperFTP does not work in our IIci connected to a Gatorbox. It says it can't
find the IP address. Telnet TCP does not work either. On a SE/30 things work
all right though.

Carlos Carvalho

dave@intercon.com (David S Saunders) (06/26/91)

In article <1991Jun21.075324.8834@gorm.ruc.dk>, jba@gorm.ruc.dk (Jan B.
Andersen) writes:
> From: jba@gorm.ruc.dk (Jan B. Andersen)
> Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.comm
> Subject: Re: System 7 Compatible MacTCP available yet?
> Date: 21 Jun 91 07:53:24 GMT
>

> True, MacTCP 1.0.1 will usually work with System 7.0, but can (according to
> Apple?) sometimes fail when run with VM (or was it in 32-bit mode?). Is this
> what Apple call "System 7 compatible" as opposed to "System 7 friendly" ?

Most MacTCP applications that I have tested will not work with VM turned on.

-=Dave

"It takes a lot to get to infinity."

brian@galileo.uucp (Brian Donnell [PT4]) (06/26/91)

NCSA Telnet (2.3 MacTCP and 2.4b12) both work fine with System 7 VM and
MacTCP 1.0.1.  Occassionaly I get lockups - but it works most of the time.
However, if I use Shiva's beta-drivers for my EtherPort IIN board, I get
crashes EXTREMELY often.

Brian Donnell
NASA/JSC

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (06/26/91)

David S Saunders writes:
>Most MacTCP applications that I have tested will not work with VM turned on.

Like a lot of things about System 7, I've heard reports all over the map on
this one.  I've had reports about my app that it:

- Crashes with VM turned on.
- Crashes with VM turned on with 24 bit addressing, but works fine with VM & 32
  bit addressing
- Works most of the time with VM & 24 bit addressing
- Works so long as MacTCP is initialized before any swapping is done on the
  application.

Now, I'm fairly sure my program is 32bit clean (it runs under A/UX), and is
not itself causing problems with VM (I use it with the CTB and VM without
trouble).

This seems like a really familiar story with System 7.  I see a lot of
postings saying "System 7 causes bad thing X" and an equal number of
"Not for me it doesn't" postings.  What I haven't seen much of is postings
that reconcile the conflicts; "Well, you have bad thing X because you do Y".

"Rock Solid" seems to be a bit optimistic.
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner