[comp.sys.mac.comm] NCSA Telnet, FTP, & login

brad@aerospace.aero.org (Bradley A. West) (06/25/91)

I'm sure this is a dumb question but I can't seem to answer it for
myself.
I need to know how to turn off NCSA Telnet 2.3's ftp access userid and
password back to my mac.  In the documentation it says refer to
"chapter~9" for configuring Telnet's password mode, but all the
documentation I get only goes to chapter 8.  I have Telnet for the PC
also and there it briefly mentions the Mac's config file in the system
folder and TelPass, both of which I have.  I can neither get Telnet to
recognize a password file nor disable password checking altogether (my
ultimate goal)
How do I do it?
Hep me! Hep me! Hep Me!

Thanks,
Brad

Brad West                 "They say the secret of success is being
brad@aerospace.aero.org   at the right place at the right time.
bwest@nunki.usc.edu       But since you never know when the right
                          TIME is going to be, I figure the trick
                          is to find the right PLACE and just hang
                          around!"  -  Calvin

owen@astro.washington.edu (06/26/91)

In article <1991Jun24.232346.22119@aero.org> brad@aerospace.aero.org (Bradley
A. West) writes:
>I'm sure this is a dumb question but I can't seem to answer it for
>myself.
>I need to know how to turn off NCSA Telnet 2.3's ftp access userid and
>password back to my mac...

It is MUCH safer to use do ftp using an ftp client, such as XFerIt or HyperFTP
(both available from sumex-aim). You are trying to set your Mac up as an
ftp server, and worse, you want to enable the whole world to log in and
do anything they like with your files. This is asking to be screwed.

Anyway, all this kind of thing is done by editing "config.tel":

ftp=yes     enables the NCSA Telnet server ("no" disables it; that's what I
use)
passfile="name-of-file"  looks for the named password file in your system
folder;
   comment out this line if you insist on disabling password checking

Finally, if you insist on having an ftp file server, check out VersaTerm.
It's cheap, and it includes a nice ftp server that allows you to have
some accounts be read-only, and others be read-write. It also has an ftp
client -- a bit rough around the edges yet, but it does work.

-- Russell
owen@astro.washington.edu

brad@aero.org (Bradley A. West) (06/26/91)

In article <1991Jun25.212024.26371@milton.u.washington.edu> owen@astro.washington.edu writes:
>In article <1991Jun24.232346.22119@aero.org> brad@aerospace.aero.org (Bradley
>A. West) writes:
>>I'm sure this is a dumb question but I can't seem to answer it for
>>myself.
>>I need to know how to turn off NCSA Telnet 2.3's ftp access userid and
>>password back to my mac...
>
>It is MUCH safer to use do ftp using an ftp client, such as XFerIt or HyperFTP
>(both available from sumex-aim). You are trying to set your Mac up as an
>ftp server, and worse, you want to enable the whole world to log in and
>do anything they like with your files. This is asking to be screwed.
>Anyway, all this kind of thing is done by editing "config.tel":
>ftp=yes     enables the NCSA Telnet server ("no" disables it; that's what I
>use)
>passfile="name-of-file"  looks for the named password file in your system
>folder;
>   comment out this line if you insist on disabling password checking
>Finally, if you insist on having an ftp file server, check out VersaTerm.
>It's cheap, and it includes a nice ftp server that allows you to have
>some accounts be read-only, and others be read-write. It also has an ftp
>client -- a bit rough around the edges yet, but it does work.

Actually, the only thing I was trying to do was log into our new 486
running SCO Unix V and initiate an ftp session so I could transfer CAP
to the 486.  True, after logging in and issuing the FTP command, my
Mac became a server and that's where I wanted to disable the userid
and password information.  Otherwise, I was not able to fetch files
from the Mac sending them to the 486.
I've started up Telnet on my Mac and tried to FTP to it from a PC
running Telnet and from the Unix machine but that doesn't work, so I
don't think I'm any trouble of being screwed just yet.  I'd love to be
able to use it as a server as well though.
Currently our network consists of my Mac, two PC's, a Novell
fileserver, the Unix 486 and a LaserWriter.  Until the communications
people see fit to make the last little connection for us to be on the
company's large network, I'll be happy with this secure little setup.