[comp.sys.mac.comm] ZTerm 1.0 a hack?

leavens@aludra.usc.edu (Justin Leavens) (06/25/91)

I run a BBS here in Los Angeles, and I got an upload this weekend of a file
that claims to be ZTerm 1.0. I'm skeptical, however, since I have heard that
the next released version from Dave Alverson would be 0.90.

The only difference between the version I got and the 0.85 version was the
addition of a Scripting menu, which has four choices, none of which seem to
do anything, and the addition of two or three new transfer protocols, which
are primarily PC world protocols, but will hopefully make it into the Mac
world someday.

So, I dunno if Dave reads this, but can anyone confirm that this is a hack?
I assume it is, but confirmation would be nice. There was some concern that
it was a trojan of some kind, but it hasn't wiped my hard disk yet or done
anything vicious. I'll poke into the application tonight and see what I come
up with...

Thanks,
Justin Leavens

cjeff@silver.lcs.mit.edu (Carl J.M. Alexander) (06/25/91)

In article <18014@chaph.usc.edu> leavens@aludra.usc.edu (Justin Leavens) writes:
>I run a BBS here in Los Angeles, and I got an upload this weekend of a file
>that claims to be ZTerm 1.0. I'm skeptical, however, since I have heard that
>the next released version from Dave Alverson would be 0.90....

A message appeared on the BCS*Mac BBS from someone who spoke to Dave
Alverson about this.  Your scepticism is well-founded: he's still
working on 0.90.

--Carl Alexander                  |           BCS*Mac
News Editor, The Active Window    |  The Boston Computer Society
cjeff@silver.lcs.mit.edu          |     Macintosh Users Group

peterc@Sugar.NeoSoft.com (Peter Creath) (06/25/91)

We ran across it on a few Houston boards recently.  Your description was
quite accurate.  It is either the preliminary version with the "new"
front-end for the newer versions of ZTerm (which will supposedly have
scripting, Lynx, SuperKermit, etc.), which someone got off of Dave and
edited the version # and distributed.  Or, it could be that someone
decided to spend a few hours playing with ResEdit...

--

mrx@dhw68k.cts.com (Mark Murphy) (06/27/91)

In article <18014@chaph.usc.edu> leavens@aludra.usc.edu (Justin Leavens) writes:
>I run a BBS here in Los Angeles, and I got an upload this weekend of a file
>that claims to be ZTerm 1.0. I'm skeptical, however, since I have heard that
>the next released version from Dave Alverson would be 0.90.

   Yep... it's a hack... don't trust everything you see on boardz!

mark

--
      Real Life: Mark F. Murphy     | What kinda beer do you like?
        The Net: mrx@dhw68k.cts.com | Heineken!?  Intercourse that doo-doo!!