[comp.sys.mac.comm] How to set up MacLayers on Apollo Unix machine?

Sari Khoury <3XMQGAA@CMUVM.BITNET> (06/27/91)

Hi, I recently got MacLayers all compiled and installed (I think) on my
account on an Apollo Unix machine. I've heard  that MacLayers is a real
nice communications program. But when, I type 'layers' it refuses to run
on the Apollo. I was just wondering if anyone knew how to set it up
correctly for an Apollo Unix machine.
Keep in mind, that I am a Novice Unix user so please speak in easy terms :)

Thanks...
Sari Khoury                  Art Department
3xmqgaa@cmuvm.bitnet         Central Michigan University

tagreen@lothario.ucs.indiana.edu (Todd Green) (06/28/91)

In article <91177.2104203XMQGAA@CMUVM.BITNET> 3XMQGAA@CMUVM.BITNET (Sari Khoury) writes:
>Hi, I recently got MacLayers all compiled and installed (I think) on my
>account on an Apollo Unix machine. I've heard  that MacLayers is a real
>nice communications program. But when, I type 'layers' it refuses to run
>on the Apollo. I was just wondering if anyone knew how to set it up
>correctly for an Apollo Unix machine.
>Keep in mind, that I am a Novice Unix user so please speak in easy terms :)

Perhaps if you gave us some more information we could help you.  How
did the compilation go?  Any warnings/errors (I presume no errors ;)
). What do you mean by "it refuses to run"?  What happens when you
type layers?  Do you get a message? Does it just return you to the
prompt? Does it sit and spin ;). I don't use an Apollo, but I got it
to run fine on a NeXT by playing with the makefile and a few pointer
types etc etc.

On a side note while MacLayers is a nice program I find it unusable
for 2 minor and 1 major reasons.

1) It doesn't support a 38.4K connection
2) The vt emulation while I was on our VMS VAX systems wasn't the
best. It wouldn't recognize many of the escape codes nor many of the
term attributes.

1) Downloading is horrendous.  I would like to have a nice simple
zmodem transfer. I don't want to have to bother dividing my files into
.info .data etc etc.  Did I miss something? Is there a newer version?

Thus I'll stick with White Knight for now.

Todd
--
Internet: tagreen@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu
NeXTMail: tagreen@lothario.ucs.indiana.edu