[comp.sys.mac.comm] Latest UUTool?

km3t@jjmhome.UUCP (Dave Pascoe) (06/27/91)

I thought I saw a recent posting on comp.sys.mac.binaries announcing
the new version of UUTool being posted on sumex.stanford.edu.  I checked
in the /info-mac/util directory (and various other directories) and
didn't find it.

Has anyone run across it?

--
Dave Pascoe | km3t@jjmhome.UUCP  OR  dhp1@gte.com
KM3T        | Packet: km3t @ k1ea.ma.usa.na

brad@aero.org (Bradley A. West) (06/27/91)

In article <10528@jjmhome.UUCP> km3t@jjmhome.UUCP (Dave Pascoe) writes:
>I thought I saw a recent posting on comp.sys.mac.binaries announcing
>the new version of UUTool being posted on sumex.stanford.edu.  I checked
>in the /info-mac/util directory (and various other directories) and
>didn't find it.
>
>Has anyone run across it?
>
>--
>Dave Pascoe | km3t@jjmhome.UUCP  OR  dhp1@gte.com
>KM3T        | Packet: km3t @ k1ea.ma.usa.na
I checked the day it appeared in info-mac and a couple of days later
but it didn't seem to be there.  I also looked in the recent abstracts
of the /util directory but no luck there either.  I guess the person
who submitted it retracted the submission after the announcement went
out.

Brad West                 "They say the secret of success is being
brad@aerospace.aero.org   at the right place at the right time.
bwest@nunki.usc.edu       But since you never know when the right
                          TIME is going to be, I figure the trick
                          is to find the right PLACE and just hang
                          around!"  -  Calvin

wieser@acs.ucalgary.ca (Bernie Wieser) (06/27/91)

Yes, UUTool2.0.1 was posted by mistake.  UUTool2.0.3 will be posted within
the next couple of days.  It includes the engine+documentation.  Some nice
things about 2.0.3 is it supports abort, multiple open and decode from finder.
If people need 2.0.3 immediately, I think it was posted to genie and AOL.
It does not include the engine stuff though.

PS.  Because of queue delay, don't expect anything on sumex-aim for a while.
     I will post to mac.archive.umich.edu tonight.
PPS. There IS a french version of uutool including documentation.
     If enough people bother me, I will post it.

--
( Bernhard S. Wieser         Macintosh & UNIX developer,               )
( BSWieser@UNCAMULT.BITNET   Vision Cognition Lab, dept. of Psychology )

kgustilo@pennsy.med.jhu.edu (06/28/91)

In article <1991Jun26.234728.9155@aero.org> brad@aero.org (Bradley A. West)
writes:
>I checked the day it appeared in info-mac and a couple of days later
>but it didn't seem to be there.  I also looked in the recent abstracts
>of the /util directory but no luck there either.  I guess the person
>who submitted it retracted the submission after the announcement went
>out.

I can confirm this. I sent a note to the moderators asking where the file was
and they told me that it had been withdrawn by the poster

I am not responsible for comments that I post after 0230 EDT
or after 5 cups of coffe, whichever comes first

watch this space

johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu (06/28/91)

In article <1991Jun27.193101.10170@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu>, kgustilo@pennsy.med.jhu.edu writes...
>In article <1991Jun26.234728.9155@aero.org> brad@aero.org (Bradley A. West)
>writes:
>>I checked the day it appeared in info-mac and a couple of days later
>>but it didn't seem to be there.  I also looked in the recent abstracts

>I can confirm this. I sent a note to the moderators asking where the file was
>and they told me that it had been withdrawn by the poster

Bernie is working on a new version based on a reusable "uuengine";
the program is a nice improvement over 1.x, and should be released
very soon (if it hasn't submitted to sumex already).

I'm replying because 1) I beta-tested up to UUTool 2.0.3, and 2) Bernie
just got a job and may have lost net access in the bargain.  Congrats!

By way of comparison, I also guinea-pigged versions 1.3 to 1.5 of
unshar for Sak Wathanasin.  That was finished in mid-May, and has been
submitted (twice) to info-mac@sumex-aim.stanford.edu since then.

They are either VERY busy ... or they don't realize that the file
named /info-mac/util/unshar-2.txt is actually unshar 1.2 ... ???

-- Bill (johnston@minnie.me.udel.edu)