[comp.sys.mac.comm] Zterm 0.85 problem with file names

nolan@helios.unl.edu (Michael Nolan) (06/27/91)

Pardon me if this has been reported previously, but I hadn't seen it yet.

When I send a file with Zmodem using ZTERM 0.85 to RZ on a unix box (I've
tried it on two different unix systems), the file 'a.b.c' gets renamed 'ab.c'.
It looks like its trying to come up with a DOS-style filename, because if
there are more than three characters after the period (abc.defg), it gets
truncated to only three characters after the period.

Michael Nolan
nolan@helios.unl.edu

scasterg@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Stuart M Castergine) (06/28/91)

In article <nolan.677998527@helios> nolan@helios.unl.edu writes:
>Pardon me if this has been reported previously, but I hadn't seen it yet.
>
>When I send a file with Zmodem using ZTERM 0.85 to RZ on a unix box (I've
>tried it on two different unix systems), the file 'a.b.c' gets renamed 'ab.c'.
>It looks like its trying to come up with a DOS-style filename, because if
>there are more than three characters after the period (abc.defg), it gets
>truncated to only three characters after the period.
>
>Michael Nolan
>nolan@helios.unl.edu

the author of ZTerm sent me a pretty simple patch for that. It can be
done using any hex file editor. Once it is done, file names are kept
intact -- it no longer tries to convert to a dos-style name.

However, I won't post the patch. If you paid your shareware fees, the
author will be happy to send you the patch. If you haven't, maybe
now's the time.

--
scasterg@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu  Stuart M Castergine
"Step by step they were led to practices which disposed to vice -- the