[comp.sys.mac.comm] System 7 & AppleTalk Phase II, Phase I

brett@jericho.uucp (Brett Cheng) (06/28/91)

In article <54249@apple.Apple.COM> shoemake@Apple.COM (Mike Shoemaker) writes:
>CD-ROM), then the Phase 1 EtherTalk is on there.  Otherwise, just grab the
>Phase 1 file that came with your Ethernet card or that you used to use before
>you upgraded to System 7.  Put this in the Extensions folder within your System 7 System Folder, select it from the Network Control Panel, and you're off.

[stuff deleted...]

>Bottom line: Ethernet Phase 1 works and was tested on System 7 -- we just
>don't distribute the Phase 1 EtherTalk ADEV along with System Software.
>
>Mike Shoemaker
>Distributed Systems (formerly Networking & Communications)
>Apple Computer, Inc.

Mike's posting cleared up several questions I had about EtherTalk - thanks!
(is this stuff documented anywhere?)

BUT...

I've tried exactly what Mike says (put the Phase I EtherTalk adev back in
the Extensions folder, etc), but I can't connect to our server
anymore with Phase I! What's wrong? Phase II works fine when I select
it and reconfigure the server for PhaseII.

Another related question:
Can somebody explain the difference between Phase I and Phase II protocols?

Our setup:
System 7.0 installed from Network Install distribution
We were successfully running EtherTalk v1.1 (Phase I) under 6.0.x
Mac IIci with 3com EtherLink/NB card (BTW 3com help said to just use
the System 7.0 Network Install...)

Thanks!

--
Brett Cheng         uunet!jericho!brett