[comp.sys.mac.comm] Eudora and SLIP questions

jmm@ut-emx.uucp (J. Michael Morrison) (06/28/91)

Greetings,

Has anyone ever dealt with the situation of Eudora being
used in a public access lab environment?  Because Eudora
uses the System folder to save its mailboxes, it won't
really work.  Is there an ingenious solution that I just
can't see, or has anyone ever modified the program to do
such a thing?

Also about Eudora, over a serial connection I seem to be
able to do everything except actually send mail.  Eudora
sends the message(s) completely and then just sits there.
After the timeout, Eudora announces that Eudora said, ""
and the server replied "".  Anyone ever come across this?

Finally, SLIP.  Because I work for the state, the
expensive, commercial solutions are pretty much out.  So
is there, or will there be, a free/shareware SLIP
solution, preferably a CTB tool?

Please respond via email.  If there is interest I will
summarize and post to the net.  Thanks very much for your
help.

_____________________________
J. Michael Morrison
Computation Center
University of Texas at Austin
jmm@bongo.cc.utexas.edu

bschmidt@bnr.ca (Ben Schmidt) (06/28/91)

In article <51337@ut-emx.uucp> jmm@ut-emx.uucp (J. Michael Morrison) writes:

>Greetings,
>
>Has anyone ever dealt with the situation of Eudora being
>used in a public access lab environment?  Because Eudora
>uses the System folder to save its mailboxes, it won't
>really work.  Is there an ingenious solution that I just
>can't see, or has anyone ever modified the program to do
>such a thing?

In the HC Eudora stack I think you'll find the explanation of
how any number of different users can share a single Mac running
Eudora by dragging their Eudora System folder files out of the
System Folder the first time they run it, and on all subsequent
occassions launching eudora by double-clicking on any of these
files in their *new* location, instead of double-clicking on
the Eudora application itself.

>Also about Eudora, over a serial connection I seem to be
>able to do everything except actually send mail.  Eudora
>sends the message(s) completely and then just sits there.
>After the timeout, Eudora announces that Eudora said, ""
>and the server replied "".  Anyone ever come across this?

On the u of illinois server there are some detailed notes on
serial Eudora connections identifying all the user-settable (from
ResEdit) parameters for dial-in connections.  Eudora's initial
settings should work with cisco terminal servers since that is
what the U. of illinois uses.  But on any async connection
all bets are off and you should examine the entrails of a
chicken to verify the auspices are favourable before sitting
down to configure a modern modem with its 60+ registers to reliably
connect to anything....  :^)

>Finally, SLIP.  Because I work for the state, the
>expensive, commercial solutions are pretty much out.

TCP/Connect has the only commercial solution I've seen. There are
some hacked NCSA telnets but you need a separate program to make
the serial connection to the SLIP server first, and then yah gotta
quit from that program and bring NCSA up without the serial connection
dropping.  awkward.

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (06/28/91)

In article <51337@ut-emx.uucp> jmm@ut-emx.uucp (J. Michael Morrison) writes:
>Has anyone ever dealt with the situation of Eudora being
>used in a public access lab environment?  Because Eudora
>uses the System folder to save its mailboxes, it won't
>really work.  Is there an ingenious solution that I just
>can't see, or has anyone ever modified the program to do
>such a thing?

Look in the Q&A stack.  If your copy doesn't show "1.2a4<something>" in
the LL corner of the Question box, get a new copy.

What we do here is put Eudora on the fileserver, but make it invisible,
and hence not directly launchable.  Then, we pass out copies of a
Eudora Settings file on a floppy, so students can use Eudora off of the
floppy.  Since they can't get to the Eudora app (mod ResEdit hacking),
there's no chance for even the abysmally confused user to end up with his
or her mail in the System Folder.

>Also about Eudora, over a serial connection I seem to be
>able to do everything except actually send mail.  Eudora
>sends the message(s) completely and then just sits there.

I dunno about "sends the messages completely".  9 times out of 10 if
recieving mail works and sending mail does not, you have a problem with
the interpretation of carriage returns somewhere in your dialup path.
This usually manifests itself in the initial negotiations with the SMTP
server, however, so you might have something different going on here.
Read Appendix D of the manual carefully.  (If you don't have appendix D,
get a new copy of the manual.)

If that doesn't help, get in touch with me directly.
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner

aes19@opal.cs.tu-berlin.de ( aes19) (06/28/91)

jmm@ut-emx.uucp (J. Michael Morrison) writes:

>Greetings,
Hello

>Also about Eudora, over a serial connection I seem to be
>able to do everything except actually send mail.  Eudora
>sends the message(s) completely and then just sits there.
>After the timeout, Eudora announces that Eudora said, ""
>and the server replied "".  Anyone ever come across this?

I've had the same problems when Eudora would send Mail via
SMTP. The problem is that EUDORA sends 2 newlines (or so)
after the SMTP-Command, but SMTP can not handle this additional
empty line and answers 500 Unknown command ( or so ).

But if you read the QA-Stack, you will find two cards about
the STR# resources of EUDORA. There are two Strings containing
these Newlines (one for TCP/IP, one for CTB). You must only
change the resource to a single newline.

I hope that would help .

>_____________________________
>J. Michael Morrison
>Computation Center
>University of Texas at Austin
>jmm@bongo.cc.utexas.edu

-------------------------------
Markus Schirmer, Institut fuer Mikroelektronik der TU-Berlin
schirmer%tubue@tub.cs.tu-berlin.de

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (06/29/91)

In article <4022@opal.cs.tu-berlin.de> aes19@opal.cs.tu-berlin.de ( aes19) writes:
>SMTP. The problem is that EUDORA sends 2 newlines (or so)
>after the SMTP-Command, but SMTP can not handle this additional
>empty line and answers 500 Unknown command ( or so ).

Eudora sends a <CR-LF> pair, per SMTP specs.  The problem is that many dialups
insist on translating that into <LF-LF> or even <CR-LF-CR-LF>.  This is
a problem in the dialup, IMHO.

You're quite correct that changing Eudora's newline to be a single <CR>
usually fixes the problem, and it's often a lot easier to do than making
the dialup path clean and transparent as it should be.

We're lucky at UIUC in that we have Cisco terminal servers, who have a
very simple and pleasant way to do exactly what Eudora wants them to do.
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner