[comp.sys.mac.comm] NewsWatcher - found!

erdwing@sol.biostat.med.umich.edu (Erdwing Coronado) (06/30/91)

For those of you who asked:
NewsWatcher (A Mac Newsreader) is found at ftp.apple.com
in directory /dts/mac/hacks
It is in binhex format, so transfer as text (ascii).

Erdwing,

philip@pescadero.stanford.edu (Philip Machanick) (06/30/91)

In article <Ywk#0F@engin.umich.edu>, erdwing@sol.biostat.med.umich.edu (Erdwing Coronado) writes:

> For those of you who asked:
> NewsWatcher (A Mac Newsreader) is found at ftp.apple.com
> in directory /dts/mac/hacks
> It is in binhex format, so transfer as text (ascii).

I'm trying it now. It seems to be a good start, but needs some work -
unless I'm missing something. Quick first impressions:
o always loads all group names from server - takes a few minutes
o gives you a message about the fact that posting is goes to
  "thousands of machines throughout the civilized world" every
  time you post
o I couldn't get downloading my unix .newsrc to work - it gave one
  of several meanngless error messages, or ran out of memory
o I'm not sure if I like the multi-window interface (same problem
  with The News)
o It doesn't put a signature on postings

On the plus side, there's also source (looks like Think C).

Still in search of a decent Mac alternative to XRN.

Philip Machanick