[comp.sys.mac.comm] Macintosh BBS Programs

neil@ms.uky.edu (Neil Greene) (06/23/91)

I am looking for a good macintosh bbs program, anyone that could give me any
suggestions and/or recommendations...I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance
--Neil
--
Neil Greene ---	University of Kentucky Mathmatics and Sciences
		Kentucky NeXT User Group

neil@graphlab.cc.uky.edu [NeXT Attachments]

ianf@chook.ua.oz (Ian Florance) (06/24/91)

> I am looking for a good macintosh bbs program, anyone that could give me any
> suggestions and/or recommendations...I would greatly appreciate it.

I can tell you two to avoid:
Novalink and Red Ryder Host
We tried these over a period of a year {as registered users} and although
they were okay to the user the administrators job was not worth it.
I think hermes is a bit suspect as well.
We thought we might tried HyperBBS next since we might be able to program it
ourselves.

___________________________________________           _--_|\
Ian Florance         Phone : +6 18 228 5502          /      \
The Univeristy of Adelaide Apple Consortium          \_.--*_/
University of Adelaide,     South Australia                v

sjhg9320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (/dev/null ) (06/24/91)

As a SysOp for a few years for a Mac User Group, I'd have to say
that the best BBS program I've seen or used is Telefinder.
Although you need a custom interface to make the front end totally Mac-Like,
it has fast messaging, mailing, and file transfer capabilities and has
much less maintenance and headache involved than Hermes, NovaLink Pro,
Second Sight, Mansion, Hermes, or WWIV.

leavens@aludra.usc.edu (Justin Leavens) (06/25/91)

In article <3772@sirius.ucs.adelaide.edu.au> ianf@chook.ua.oz (Ian Florance) writes:
>> I am looking for a good macintosh bbs program, anyone that could give me any
>> suggestions and/or recommendations...I would greatly appreciate it.
>
>I can tell you two to avoid:
>Novalink and Red Ryder Host
>We tried these over a period of a year {as registered users} and although
>they were okay to the user the administrators job was not worth it.
>I think hermes is a bit suspect as well.
>We thought we might tried HyperBBS next since we might be able to program it
>ourselves.

Hermes is actually a pretty good BBS package for the Mac. I've been running a
registered Hermes board for about a year and a half now, and I have few
complaints. It allows for multiple nodes easily through the comm toolbox,
has forumed message bases, full security for messages and transfers, message
threading, and a slew of other features. It also supports externals to take
care anything else you might need, and works with Tabby. It features a full
Mac interface on the sysop's side, making most sysop tasks very easy to deal
with.

Justin Leavens

jason@runx.oz.au (Jason Haines) (06/25/91)

In article <3772@sirius.ucs.adelaide.edu.au> ianf@chook.ua.oz (Ian Florance) writes:
>I can tell you two to avoid:
>Novalink and Red Ryder Host
>We tried these over a period of a year {as registered users} and although
>they were okay to the user the administrators job was not worth it.
>I think hermes is a bit suspect as well.
>We thought we might tried HyperBBS next since we might be able to program it
>ourselves.

Try TeleFinder - it is a dream for the administrator and our members at Club
Mac are very happy with it. Try giving (02) 907-9198 a call.

| Jason Haines                                                                |
| P.O. Box 97, North Strathfield, New South Wales, AUSTRALIA, 2137            |
|    Vox:  +61-2-743-5997            BBS: +61-2-907-9198 (running TeleFinder) |
| INTERNET:jason@runxtsa.runx.oz.au  UUCP: uunet!runxtsa.runx.oz.au!jason     |
| ACSNet:  jason@runxtsa.runx.oz                                              |
|_____________________________________________________________________________|
| Jason Haines                                                                |
| P.O. Box 97, North Strathfield, New South Wales, AUSTRALIA, 2137            |
|    Vox:  +61-2-743-5997            BBS: +61-2-907-9198 (running TeleFinder) |

Nm156.@kcufgat.fidonet.org (will.Mclean) (06/26/91)

I give hermes a big thumbs up, have been running it for over a year, and find
its the best supported, most solid, and friendliest use of any BBS avail for
the mac

---Hermes 1.5
 * Origin: FROM THE VOICE OF ENLIGHTENED GALACTIC OPINION (1:280/101)

rterry@hpcuhc.cup.hp.com (Ray Terry) (07/01/91)

>I give hermes a big thumbs up, have been running it for over a year, and find
>its the best supported, most solid, and friendliest use of any BBS avail for
>the mac

If Hermes didn't have such a horrible user interface it might be okay.  Until
that improves I'll stick with Second Sight...

Ray