[comp.sys.mac.games] Game Survey Results

chuq@Apple.COM (The Bounty Hunter) (05/04/90)

Here's the results of the survey on favorite mac games. my thanks to
all who participated.

I got 70 responses to the survey with a total of 440 different game
recommendations (or unrecommendations). The winners didn't surprise me
a bit.

What I did was this: if a game was recommended as one of the 'top
five' it got five points. If it was an honorable mention it got 1
point. A 'turkey' got -1 points. (I'll cover turkeys in more detail
later)

This is a list of the games that got 5 or more recommendations and the
number of total points (and number of disrecommendations, if any):

28	Tetris			120
26	SimCity			117	(1)
22	Strategic Conquest	85	(1)
16	Dark Castle		67	(1)
15	Crystal Quest		62	(1)
13	Fool's Errand		60	(1)
10	Falcon			34
9	Reach for the Stars	37
8	Uninvited		32
8	Solarian II		35	(1)
8	Shadowgate		31	(1)
8	Seahaven Towers		28
8	Risk			20
8	Colony			32
8	Beyond Dark Castle (see note 1) 32
8	Balance of Power	35	(1)
7	Pool of Radiance	29	(2)
7	Deja Vu			30	(1)
6	Shanghai		30
6	Pirates!		22
6	Might and Magic I	25	(1)
5	Klondike		17
5	Arkanoid		21
5	Ancient Art of War	12	(1)

[note 1: Most of the folks mentioned "both dark castles" or something
of that sort, but they were only counted under "dark castle" -- so
this number is lower than it should otherwise be. Only a couple
mentioned Beyond and didn't mention "Dark Castle" so they really ought
to be ranked as a two-part single game]

The winner is Tetris, although SimCity gave it a run for its money.
Strategic Conquest is a distant third.

What are the turkeys? I got 60 separate turkey nominations and as you
can see from above, even the best games have their detractors. Only
two real turkeys stood out: Universal Military Simulator, which got
four turkey nominations and no recommendations, and Microsoft Flight
Simulator which was 3 thumbs down out of three. Others with more than
one disrecommendation include: Ancient Art of War at Sea (4+, 2-),
Crazy Cars (0+,2-), Gauntlet (3+,3-), Pool of Radiance (7+,2-),
Quarterstaff (4+,2-), and Star Flight (2+, 3-).

---- My thoughts on various games. I didn't include my ratings here
because I knew I'd be kibbitzing at the end of the article. If you
don't care what I think, hit 'n' now.

I'm personally not a big arcade game fan: I enjoy Crystal Quest but
don't play it a lot. Same with Solarian II: it wasted about a week and
a half of my life and then I didn't feel like playing it any more.
Dark Castle is nice but not my cup of tea. Tetris, on the other hand,
got banished from the disk (a fate mentioned by a number of
respondents on one game or another). I found myself sitting down "for
just a minute" to look up hours later. ugh.

Same with Pool of Radiance: I loved it despite the bugs -- it could
have been a much better game, but flakes and typos, it was still
something that I hacked on until I beat. Hopefully SSI's next release
will be cleaner and more of a blow-away. On the other hand, I hated
Shadowgate: there is a fine difference between being difficult and
being obscure, and Shadowgate passed over many times. I grew up with
Adventure and Zork type games, so difficult challenges aren't
necessarily a problem, but this one just made me give up in
indifference. Bard's Tale is another adventure game I like: I haven't
finished it and probably won't any time soon because I find the way
saved games are handled more inconvenient than the game is
interesting: having to go back to the Inn to stop play is just too
much hassle, especially when (like me) you like to hack on a game for
10 minutes or so and then go back to work.

The games on my hard disk currently are: Shanghai, Forty Thieves and
Montana (both solitaire), Solitaire Royale, MacMoria, Go Master and
Might & Magic I (which I bought last night and am just starting; next
is Fool's Errand).

Over time, other things I've grabbed and put away include Lode Runner
(great, but I'm not an arcade game fan), Archon (chess on drugs: okay,
but nothing special), Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (fun if you
think like Douglas Adams, boring if you don't -- not challenging, just
arbitrary), Wizardry (there's more to life than bashing orcs and
mapping mazes, although you wouldn't know from games like this -- give
me some real strategy), Colony (another game with lots of arbitrary
stuff; I'm not as impressed as many), Strategic Conquest (neat game. I
hate it, but that's a personal feeling, not a complaint about the
game) and ShufflePuck (oh, boy. yawn).

chuq
--

Chuq Von Rospach   <+>   chuq@apple.com   <+>   [This is myself speaking]

I regret to announce that--though, as I said, eleventy-one years is far too
short a time to spend among you--this is the end. I am going. Good-bye.
		-- Bilbo

garth@cs.swarthmore.edu (Garth Snyder) (05/04/90)

chuq@Apple.COM (The Bounty Hunter) writes:

> Here's the results of the survey on favorite mac games.  The winners
> didn't surprise me a bit.

I'm not too surprised either, although I wonder if this polling
methodology is really all that valid.  Ask people who have played only
one game what their favorite game is, and they are unlikely to shock
you with their answer.  Of course, the respondents to this survey are
probably much more experienced than the average Mac user off the
street.  It is encouraging that some relatively obscure games did so
well (and that some relatively common games were denigrated).

This reminds me of the mail-in Infocom survey in which people were
asked to rate their favorite Infocom games.  Hitchhiker's Guide to the
Universe won hands down, not, I think, because it was a superior game,
but because it was the game with the most copies outstanding.

The most useful thing for me about these surveys is not reading about
which games people liked, but about which ones they hated, and their
reasons for doing so.  The actual comments mean so much more than the
numeric ratings; would you be willing to post what people wrote as
well as the statistics, Chuq?

--------------------
Garth Snyder                 UUCP: {bpa,liberty}!swatsun!garth
Swarthmore College       INTERNET: garth@cs.swarthmore.edu
500 College Avenue
Swarthmore, PA 19081-1397  "Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur."
--------------------

garth@cs.swarthmore.edu (Garth Snyder) writes:
>chuq@Apple.COM (The Bounty Hunter) writes:
>> Here's the results of the survey on favorite mac games.  The winners
>> didn't surprise me a bit.

>I'm not too surprised either, although I wonder if this polling
>methodology is really all that valid.

I think so, yes. The respondents are obviously self-selected and so it isn't
a random, scientific survey but it was never designed as such.

>Ask people who have played only
>one game what their favorite game is, and they are unlikely to shock
>you with their answer.

Since I averaged somewhere around 6 data points per person, the "I only
played one game and liked it" problem didn't really occur [and, from
typing in all the data into Filemaker for collection, most of the letters
really did have a five best and many had a number of honorable mentions.
People mailing in a very small number of recommendations were few]

>The most useful thing for me about these surveys is not reading about
>which games people liked, but about which ones they hated, and their
>reasons for doing so.  The actual comments mean so much more than the
>numeric ratings; would you be willing to post what people wrote as
>well as the statistics, Chuq?

I'd planned on it, but I didn't think most of the comments really said much.
They broke down into broad categories like "buggy" or "I hate copy
protection" or "I don't like arcade games" or "I thought it was neat!".
There were a fair number of comments, but relatively few that I found were
worth pulling out of the messages and schlepping into the database so I
finally stopped keeping it. It just didn't seem worth it.