[comp.sys.mac.games] Halls of Montezuma - some more comments

dresnick@athena.mit.edu (David I Resnick) (05/05/90)

  I have been playing HOM for a bit more now and have the following
comments/complaints.  Anyone who knows how to get around these
problems (as I see it) with the game should correct me.

   I find it REALLY irritating not to be able to control the
individual battalions.  This leads to the following ridiculous
situations:
   -A whole regiment gets trapped due to stupid move.  As soon as any
      batallion in the regiment gets within 2 hexes of an enemy,
      the whole regiment is stopped dead, and can not move until the
      enemy is defeated/moves away.  This really interferes with
      your ability to do what you would like.  Sure, in war things
      happen, but I don't think that this "feature" represents that.
   -One of my batallions abandons an objective, and an enemy walks
      into it.  This is particularly annoying when the objective is
      on top of a hill, and thus rather difficult to take back. It is
      also very frustrating at the end of a scenario, since there is
      not adequate time left to reclaim the lost objective.
   -batallions walking through the enemy lines with no purpose and
      getting isolated.

I don't want to sound too down on the game.  The interface is nice,
and the graphics/sound are good.  I just don't feel that I have real
control over what my troops are doing, which becomes quite
frustrating.  Sure this is "realistic", but is it fun?  Maybe when I
get better, these seeming problems will go away.  Any ideas/comments
from you HOM experts out there???

______
B.T.W.
One specific question on the Belleau wood scenario.  Why does the
French HQ just suddenly die?  There are never any Germans anywhere near
it when this happens.  Is this a prearranged death, or does some
action of mine bring it on?
--
       David Resnick                           dresnick@athena.mit.edu

sharp@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Maurice Sharp) (05/08/90)

Hiya,

     I too have been playing HOM for quite a while.  Also Panzer
Battles (an excellent update that fixes many annoying little bits).

In article <1990May4.200358.27570@athena.mit.edu> dresnick@athena.mit.edu (David I Resnick) writes:

>  I have been playing HOM for a bit more now and have the following
>comments/complaints.  Anyone who knows how to get around these
>problems (as I see it) with the game should correct me.
>
>   I find it REALLY irritating not to be able to control the
>individual battalions.  This leads to the following ridiculous

Well, it is advertised as a Corps level simulation.  Yes, I used to
find the degree of control anoying.  Now I find it a challange.  If
you like control of individual units, try Rommel vs. Patton.  For HOM,
you need a different type of control. (The civil war one will be even
more difficult control wise, but more fun).

>I don't want to sound too down on the game.  The interface is nice,
>and the graphics/sound are good.  I just don't feel that I have real
>control over what my troops are doing, which becomes quite
>frustrating.  Sure this is "realistic", but is it fun?  Maybe when I
>get better, these seeming problems will go away.  Any ideas/comments
>from you HOM experts out there???

 It took me several games to get the hang of it.  Remember that supply,
 level of fatigue, and level of casualties are critical to the game.
 Also, combined arms can help an assault.  To really do well,
 familiarize yourself with the unit stats using Warplan.

 As to why the French HQ disappears.  The French are brittle, this
 means that after a certain casualty level, they die from attrition.

 If you have any other questions, give me a yell.

	 maurice

Maurice Sharp MSc. Student
University of Calgary Computer Science Department
2500 University Drive N.W.	      sharp@ksi.cpsc.UCalgary.CA
Calgary, Alberta, T2N 1N4	      ...!alberta!calgary!sharp