[comp.sys.mac.games] Welltris, Falcon

clubmac@runxtsa.runx.oz.au (Club Mac, Australia's Largest Mac Users Group) (05/29/90)

In article <102471@convex.convex.com> russ@convex.COM (Russell Donnan) writes:
>Well I got Welltris last night.  I'm thinking to myself, "Great!  Another
>color game, finally!"  Yeah, right.  The color looks quite good, but
>doesn't work.  It drops about 5 pieces and then hangs the machine to the
>point that it needs to be rebooted.  SO, I called Spectrum Holobyte (SH)
>and asked them if they knew what the problem was.  She asked me if I was
>running 6.0.5, and I said yes.  Well, it doesn't work with 6.0.5, and we
>hope to get an upgrade to you soon.  I've heard this song before from them.

Don't blame Spectrum Holobyte for your stupidity. System 6.0.5 was not intended
for your Mac II, and Apple recommend 6.0.4 (which I use with Welltris, and
it's a damn good game)

>As you can imagine, I am not particularly happy with them at the moment.
>I think they must be deriving their compatibility issues from their PC
>department.  Unlike PCs, there are standard ways on the Mac to find out
>the capabilities of the video on hand.  Not to mention the fact that my
>system is 100% Apple, and all of the documentation is easily available
>to developers.  Anyone from SH out there care to make a comment?

I'm not from Spectrum Holobyte, but I'd like to make a comment. Welltris
probably cost you less than $30, and you're complaining with more vigor
than people I know who are having problems with programs worth over $2000.

Jason Haines

russ@convex.COM (Russell Donnan) (05/30/90)

In article <1763@runxtsa.runx.oz.au> clubmac@runxtsa.runx.oz.au (Club Mac, Australia's Largest Mac Users Group) writes:
>In article <102471@convex.convex.com> russ@convex.COM (Russell Donnan) writes:
>
>Don't blame Spectrum Holobyte for your stupidity. System 6.0.5 was not intended
>for your Mac II, and Apple recommend 6.0.4 (which I use with Welltris, and
>it's a damn good game)

System 6.0.5 is recommended for all systems.  Reference comp.sys.mac.system.
(Memory limitation not withstanding...)

>I'm not from Spectrum Holobyte, but I'd like to make a comment. Welltris
>probably cost you less than $30, and you're complaining with more vigor
>than people I know who are having problems with programs worth over $2000.
>
>Jason Haines

Well, Jason, I'm into SH for ~$100 at this point.  For games, I'd say
that is quite a good chunk of change.  For $100, I would expect them
to keep their software current.  They disagree, which, IMHO is deplorable.
ESPECIALLY the idea of deciding not to fix a known bug.  Anyone who spends
$2,000 on a program which doesn't function and does not complain is a
fool.

Please keep in mind that the reason I am complaining is that I have
already taken up my grievance with SH and gotten no satisfaction.
Consider this:  I relalize that certain things games need to do to
maintain performance may mean incompatibilities.  But certified developers
have access to new HW, SF (At least specs.) before it is released to the
general public, if they so desire.  I am dissatisfied with the level
of support given by SH to new HW, SW releases.  Why does this sound
unreasonable to you?

If you care to continue this, please use email.  I apologize in advance
for taking the last word.  :-)
--
Russ Donnan, (214) 497-4778, russ@convex.com
Convex Computer Corporation, 3000 Waterview Parkway, Richardson, TX

ted@cs.utexas.edu (Ted Woodward) (05/30/90)

In article <1763@runxtsa.runx.oz.au> clubmac@runxtsa.runx.oz.au (Club Mac, Australia's Largest Mac Users Group) writes:
>In article <102471@convex.convex.com> russ@convex.COM (Russell Donnan) writes:
>>Well I got Welltris last night.  I'm thinking to myself, "Great!  Another
>>color game, finally!"  Yeah, right.  The color looks quite good, but
>>doesn't work.  It drops about 5 pieces and then hangs the machine to the
>>point that it needs to be rebooted.  SO, I called Spectrum Holobyte (SH)
>>and asked them if they knew what the problem was.  She asked me if I was
>>running 6.0.5, and I said yes.  Well, it doesn't work with 6.0.5, and we
>>hope to get an upgrade to you soon.  I've heard this song before from them.

>Don't blame Spectrum Holobyte for your stupidity. System 6.0.5 was not intended
>for your Mac II, and Apple recommend 6.0.4 (which I use with Welltris, and
>it's a damn good game)

What are you talking about?  To quote from the 6.0.5 readme file that is in
the directory with 6.0.5 at apple.com:

-All Macintosh users having at least 1MB of RAM may upgrade to System 6.0.5 if
-they wish; however, Apple is not expecting the majority of the installed base
-to upgrade.  Users should follow these Apple guidelines in deciding whether to
-upgrade to 6.0.5.

So, according to Apple Developer Technical Support, you CAN use 6.0.5 with
a Mac II.  Besides, ALL machines that Apple is currently shipping (or at least
until they get rid of the packets with 6.0.4) come with 6.0.5.  So please,
get the facts before you say something, especially if you are going to
call someone stupid...

>>As you can imagine, I am not particularly happy with them at the moment.
>>I think they must be deriving their compatibility issues from their PC
>>department.  Unlike PCs, there are standard ways on the Mac to find out
>>the capabilities of the video on hand.  Not to mention the fact that my
>>system is 100% Apple, and all of the documentation is easily available
>>to developers.  Anyone from SH out there care to make a comment?

>I'm not from Spectrum Holobyte, but I'd like to make a comment. Welltris
>probably cost you less than $30, and you're complaining with more vigor
>than people I know who are having problems with programs worth over $2000.

I don't care how much he paid for it; if he bought it and it doesn't work he
has a right to bitch as loudly and as longly as he wants.  If the people you
know aren't complaining as much as Russell is, I think they are stupid.

--
Ted Woodward (ted@cs.utexas.edu)

Death now has Extra Speed!