[comp.sys.mac.games] Thoughts on Citadel ?

sharp@cpsc.UCalgary.CA (06/02/90)

Hiya,

     Has anyone played Citadel ?  If so, how is it ?  How does it
compare to games such as Wizardry, Shadowgate, Quarterstaff ?  What is
the level of detail ?  How Maccy is the interface ?  How good is the
graphics and sound ?  Is it a challange ?  Is it a solve once and
throw away game ?  Is it an experience based system ?  How
realistic/playable is the combat ?  How r/p is the magic system ?  Any
other comments ?

	thanx
	  maurice

P.S.  I would like to see more reviews in this newsgroup.  Of course,
I would like those reviews to be free of slams without reason.
Unfortunately, the most recent games I have purchased are Hall and
Panzer, and there has been a fair degree of discussion on those
already.

Maurice Sharp MSc. Student
University of Calgary Computer Science Department
2500 University Drive N.W.	      sharp@cpsc.UCalgary.CA
Calgary, Alberta, T2N 1N4	      ...!alberta!calgary!sharp

tel@adimail.UUCP (Terry Monks) (06/04/90)

In article <1990Jun1.204703.13482@calgary.uucp>, sharp@cpsc.UCalgary.CA writes:
>      Has anyone played Citadel ?  If so, how is it ?  How does it
>
>      and some etcetera stuff

I have attempted to play Citadel many times, but find it hard to get
anywhere. The character creation is very good. There is uniformly nice
Mac interaction everywhere. The copy protection is not too bad (like
Wizardry, you get asked once per session to enter a letter from a key -
in this case a code wheel.

THe backup is confusing at first, when you backup you are now sending all
changes to the new file, so it`s easy to overwrite a 'good' position. Or
maybe I am just dumb at this.

As for the playablility, I have found it hard to get money, and you need
money a lot. You can of course create dummy people and rob them, but then
the only way to get rid of them is to take them into to maze and abandon
them. Right now I have been to about 5 floors, have encountered a riddle
I cannot answer, and cannot get enough encounters to get my characters
advanced. I must be missing something.

Magic users can do a thing called 'Trance", which puts the character out of
action for a while, but I cannot see what else it does and cannot find any
mention of it in the manual. Anyone know.

A minor complaint: when characters die in the dungeon the rest of the party
cannot pick them up and carry them out (as far as I can see...)

In spite of the negatives above, I *do* like it and will persevere. They
also sell a hint book for around $14...

--
Terry Monks        Automata Design Inc    (703) 472-9400

J.Holley@@massey.ac.nz (John Holley) (06/07/90)

In article <484@adimail.UUCP> tel@adimail.UUCP (Terry Monks) writes:
>In article <1990Jun1.204703.13482@calgary.uucp>, sharp@cpsc.UCalgary.CA writes:
>>      Has anyone played Citadel ?  If so, how is it ?  How does it
>>
>>      and some etcetera stuff
>
>As for the playablility, I have found it hard to get money, and you need
>money a lot. You can of course create dummy people and rob them, but then

You just have to sell items :-(.

>the only way to get rid of them is to take them into to maze and abandon
>them. Right now I have been to about 5 floors, have encountered a riddle

Nah... Just double click on the character's icon when in the tavern. This
then prompts you as to whether you want to delete the character.

>I cannot answer, and cannot get enough encounters to get my characters
>advanced. I must be missing something.

I suspect this is the "Whence did I come" riddle. Hint : read the manual
real carefully, especially the little story at the start :-).

>Magic users can do a thing called 'Trance", which puts the character out of
>action for a while, but I cannot see what else it does and cannot find any
>mention of it in the manual. Anyone know.

This is used much later, much lower down (just once) to fool a npc.

>A minor complaint: when characters die in the dungeon the rest of the party
>cannot pick them up and carry them out (as far as I can see...)

You should just have to drag the dead character's icon onto one of the
other characters.

>Terry Monks        Automata Design Inc    (703) 472-9400

John A. Holley                  | J.Holley@massey.ac.nz         : Internet
School of Information Sciences  | J.Holley@nz.ac.massey         : Janet
Massey University               | +64 63 505611                 : Fax
Palmerston North                | +64 63 69099 ext 8616         : Vox
New Zealand                     |  Disclaimer : Sorry! My brain hurts!