[comp.sys.mac.games] Mystery Game

Kevin.Hill@f555.n161.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Kevin Hill) (06/08/90)

  While at San Diego State University this year, there was a computer fair
in which a dealer had a game on display that I have been searching for ever
since but have had no luck in finding.
  The fighting scenes were similar to Pirates, Swashbuckler of Apple II
fame.  However, the character used Karate and weapons I believe.  It was so
long ago that I may be fuzzing up in the memory department.  You had to beat
several opponents to attain certain levels of skills and then pass certain
tests before you could start the game proper.  Can anyone help me.   It
seemed to me that the game had a stong martial arts influence to it, the top
half of the screen was were you saw your character fighting and the bottom
half was full of buttons and status readouts.  Any ideas out there??

--
Kevin Hill - via FidoNet node 1:125/777
    UUCP: ...!sun!hoptoad!fidogate!161!555!Kevin.Hill

ac08@vaxb.acs.unt.edu (ac08@vaxb.acs.unt.edu (C. Irby)) (06/10/90)

In article <4903.26703C33@fidogate.FIDONET.ORG>, Kevin.Hill@f555.n161.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Kevin Hill) writes:
>   While at San Diego State University this year, there was a computer fair
> in which a dealer had a game on display that I have been searching for ever
> since but have had no luck in finding.
>   The fighting scenes were similar to Pirates, Swashbuckler of Apple II
> fame.  However, the character used Karate and weapons I believe.  It was so
> long ago that I may be fuzzing up in the memory department.  You had to beat
> several opponents to attain certain levels of skills and then pass certain
> tests before you could start the game proper.  Can anyone help me.   It
> seemed to me that the game had a stong martial arts influence to it, the top
> half of the screen was were you saw your character fighting and the bottom
> half was full of buttons and status readouts.  Any ideas out there??
>
> --
> Kevin Hill - via FidoNet node 1:125/777
>     UUCP: ...!sun!hoptoad!fidogate!161!555!Kevin.Hill
> INTERNET: Kevin.Hill@f555.n161.z1.FIDONET.ORG

_Moebius_, from Origin Systems...

The same folks who do the _Ultima_ series.

C Irby

clye@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Christopher Lye) (06/10/90)

In article <4903.26703C33@fidogate.FIDONET.ORG> Kevin.Hill@f555.n161.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Kevin Hill) writes:

>[The game]...
>seemed to me that the game had a stong martial arts influence to it, the top
>half of the screen was were you saw your character fighting and the bottom
>half was full of buttons and status readouts.  Any ideas out there??
>
>--
>Kevin Hill - via FidoNet node 1:125/777
>    UUCP: ...!sun!hoptoad!fidogate!161!555!Kevin.Hill
>INTERNET: Kevin.Hill@f555.n161.z1.FIDONET.ORG

Sounds to me like Mobius, from Origin Systems. It's a role-playing game
where you travel the various planes to rescue priests and restore the
natural order. The combat system was fun and I enjoyed the game a lot.
Not too many challenges but it was a pretty interesting mix of arcade
and role-playing gam genres. I hear the sequel: AIRWALKER will be
available for the Mac before the end of the year.

Chris

*   Christopher Lye '90  * USENET:  clye@phoenix.princeton.edu     *
*   A17 Little Hall      * CIS:     73407, 3140                    *
*   Princeton University * TEL:     (609) 734-6038                 *
*   Princeton ,NJ 08544  *                                         *
*  "I wish every virus writer in the world had one pair of balls   *
*   ... and that I had my hands around them."                      *