[comp.sys.mac.games] Addition to the game porting wish list

gilstrap@swbatl.sbc.com (3929) (06/07/90)

A friend of mine suggested "Elite" as an excellant game.

Brian R. Gilstrap
uucibg@swbatl.uucp OR ...!{ texbell, uunet }!swbatl!uucibg

derek@leah.Albany.Edu (Derek L. / MacLover) (06/08/90)

In article <1552@swbatl.sbc.com> gilstrap@swbatl.UUCP (Brian Gilstrap) writes:
>A friend of mine suggested "Elite" as an excellant game.

	For the Mac, get "Pirates!".  It's _the_best_ game I've ever played,
on any computer.  Not perfect by any means: the copy-protection is one
annoying (and apparently undefeatable) problem, but the program is well worth
the money, especially for the quality of the documentation, which is the best
I've ever seen, for any application.  I burned myself out on it, but it kept
me interested longer than any other game I've played (my normal attention-span
is about a week, longer for Infocom adventures).

	NOTE: you may not like it if you hate sea-based strategy adventures.

>Brian R. Gilstrap

						Derek L.
--
       BITnet: derek@albnyvms          | Macintosh Guru / Monty Python fanatic
  -| InterNet: derek@uacsc1.albany.edu |Consultant & Student Asst.@ SUNY-Albany

christer@cs.umu.se (Christer Ericson) (06/08/90)

In article <3145@leah.Albany.Edu> derek@leah.albany.edu.UUCP (Derek L. / MacLover) writes:
>	For the Mac, get "Pirates!".  It's _the_best_ game I've ever played,
>on any computer.  Not perfect by any means: the copy-protection is one
>annoying (and apparently undefeatable) problem, but the program is well worth
>the money, especially for the quality of the documentation, which is the best

Undefeatable, huh? Try this for a workable (at least I hope so - I did this
for a friend, and he hasn't reported any problems), but somewhat "dirty" krack:

Find  : 6DB0 4267 A861 301F 4840 4240
Change: same same same same same 4280

Find  : 5C8F 5440 D12D DC2A
Change: same 1B7C 0016 same

The first patch makes the game to always ask for Treasure Fleet, Caracas. And
the second patch fools the program into receiving the correct answer regardless
of what you enter.

>						Derek L.
>--
>       BITnet: derek@albnyvms          | Macintosh Guru / Monty Python fanatic
>  -| InterNet: derek@uacsc1.albany.edu |Consultant & Student Asst.@ SUNY-Albany
>---}------------------------------------) <><><>(Why would my boss care?)<><><>
>  -|      Fencers love to touch!       |"Cinderella man/ Hang on to your plans"

/Christer

| Christer Ericson            Internet: christer@cs.umu.se [130.239.1.101] |
| Department of Computer Science, University of Umea, S-90187 UMEA, Sweden |
| "Track 0 sector 0 must *always* load into page 8!" -Krakowicz' first law |

In article <1990Jun8.150952.12328@cs.umu.se> I wrote:

>Undefeatable, huh? Try this for a workable (at least I hope so - I did this
>for a friend, and he hasn't reported any problems), but somewhat "dirty" krack:
>
>Find  : 6DB0 4267 A861 301F 4840 4240
>Change: same same same same same 4280
>
>Find  : 5C8F 5440 D12D DC2A
>Change: same 1B7C 0016 same
>
>The first patch makes the game to always ask for Treasure Fleet, Caracas. And
>the second patch fools the program into receiving the correct answer regardless
>of what you enter.

OOPS, I forgot to mention that it'll only work as long as you don't select
a special historical period (ie as long as you select the 'no, thanks'
option). Sorry about that. Perhaps I'll take the time to dive deeper into the
code to get a better patch if there is enough interest...

tj@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Tom Johnson) (06/09/90)

In article <1990Jun8.150952.12328@cs.umu.se> christer@cs.umu.se (Christer Ericson) writes:

>Undefeatable, huh? Try this for a workable (at least I hope so - I did this
>for a friend, and he hasn't reported any problems), but somewhat "dirty" krack:

        (patch for pirates deleted)

>The first patch makes the game to always ask for Treasure Fleet, Caracas. And
>the second patch fools the program into receiving the correct answer regardless
>of what you enter.
>
>| Christer Ericson            Internet: christer@cs.umu.se [130.239.1.101] |

This brings up a question---what are the ethics of posting patches
that remove the copy protection of a game?  I know that I am never able
to find the manual or hint card or whatever when I want to play a
game.  So the first thing I do with a new game is try to patch it so
it won't ask me any of those annoying questions.  PipeDream is the
one I have been using the most lately, and I just can't ever find the
thing with all the little pipes drawn on it, so I patched it so that
the program doesn't care if you answer wrong.

I guess what I am asking is "Is it OK to post these patches on the net?"

   Tom
--
       Tom Johnson      UCLA Computer Science Department
			3413 Boelter Hall, Los Angeles CA 90024 (213)825-6952

broe@plains.UUCP (Paul Broe) (06/09/90)

Has Rescue Raiders been added to the port list yet? A good port of this game
would be excellent! (Adding a 'save game' feature would be nice.)

--
/---------------------signature version 3.5----------------------------------/
/ "I have seen my next computer, and it is the Amiga 3000." - me            /

ted@cs.utexas.edu (Ted Woodward) (06/09/90)

In article <36094@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> tj@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Tom Johnson) writes:

>This brings up a question---what are the ethics of posting patches
>that remove the copy protection of a game?  I know that I am never able
>to find the manual or hint card or whatever when I want to play a
>game.  So the first thing I do with a new game is try to patch it so
>it won't ask me any of those annoying questions.  PipeDream is the
>one I have been using the most lately, and I just can't ever find the
>thing with all the little pipes drawn on it, so I patched it so that
>the program doesn't care if you answer wrong.

>I guess what I am asking is "Is it OK to post these patches on the net?"

In this case, it's ok.  The reason:  Pirates still asks for the master disk
when you start the game.  Now, a post of THAT fix would probably NOT be ok.

The only think this does is lets you not have to dig out the manual AND the
master disk.  Especially since the manual can be photocopied by pirates of
Pirates :-), while duplicating the master disk presents distribution problems
(instead of a photocopy a doc file can be substituted).

Someone asked for the patch for Balance of Power 1990.  I know, it's a pain
to find the manual for this puppy, especially since they ask for it between
turns 1 and 2, but since it's THE copy protection method, any patch posted
would allow pirates to roam free.

I think a good guideline would be:
If it fixes nuisances, post it.  If it defeats copy protection, don't.

For example, a patch to change the espruar and dethek fonts in Pool of
Radiance would be ok (they're pretty damn unreadable, especially the espruar
rune for 'p'), but a patch to avoid the decoder wheel stuff at the beginning
would NOT be ok.

--
Ted Woodward (ted@cs.utexas.edu)

Death now has Extra Speed!

christer@cs.umu.se (Christer Ericson) (06/09/90)

In article <1990Jun8.151717.12435@cs.umu.se> I wrote:

>OOPS, I forgot to mention that it'll only work as long as you don't select
>a special historical period (ie as long as you select the 'no, thanks'
>option). Sorry about that. Perhaps I'll take the time to dive deeper into the
>code to get a better patch if there is enough interest...

Well I did. This is for those who were interested:

Find  : 7000 102D DC2A 5D40 B06E FFFC 673E
Change: same same same same same same 603E

This patch should NOT se used in conjuction with the other (inferior) patches
that I posted earlier. With this patch it is possible to select any historical
period without getting slaughtered in the duel. Hope it works for you too!

(For those technically inclined, what the patch does is to make the code always
branch as if the correct values were entered. Changed a BEQ "branch equal" to
BRA "branch always".)

/Christer

| Christer Ericson            Internet: christer@cs.umu.se [130.239.1.101] |
| Department of Computer Science, University of Umea, S-90187 UMEA, Sweden |
| "Track 0 sector 0 must *always* load into page 8!" -Krakowicz' first law |

alexr@ucscb.ucsc.edu (Alexander M. Rosenberg) (06/14/90)

I'd really like a full intensity color version of Castle Wolfenstein. That
game always made me sweat. (Dying forced you to wade through the opening
story every time.)

-  Alexander M. Rosenberg  - INTERNET: alexr@ucscb.ucsc.edu - Yoyodyne    -
-  330 1/2 Waverley St.    - UUCP:ucbvax!ucscc!ucscb!alexr  - Propulsion  -
-  Palo Alto, CA 94301     - BITNET:alexr%ucscb@ucscc.BITNET- Systems     -
-  (415) 329-8463          - Nobody is my employer so       - :-)         -
-                          - so nobody cares what I say.    -             -