[comp.sys.mac.games] Help needed with infocom

WILLIAMS@MAINE.BITNET (06/15/90)

I just received a copy of "Suspended."  It plays well and looks like fun, but
here's the problem.  I'd like to make a backup copy.  I'd actually like to keep
 this on my hard drive (Mac SE).  I keep getting the little raised hand and the
message "This cannot be duplicated or copied."  Are there any solutions out
there?  The system the disk came with was 1984 vintage, so I trashed it.  Any
ideas?
      Please?

conrad@sun.udel.edu (Jon Conrad) (06/15/90)

In article <90165.163104WILLIAMS@MAINE.BITNET> WILLIAMS@MAINE.BITNET writes:
>I just received a copy of "Suspended."  It plays well and looks like fun, but
>here's the problem.  I'd like to make a backup copy.  I'd actually like to keep
> this on my hard drive (Mac SE).  I keep getting the little raised hand and the
>message "This cannot be duplicated or copied."  Are there any solutions out
>there?

The older Infocom games, like Suspended, were never updated to take
advantage of newer criteria.  They can't be copied and do not understand
the HFS.  You will have to play from the master disk.  You may even have
to BOOT from the master disk (too bad you trashed its system).  I have
sometimes found when I try to Save a game with these older jobbies, that
it gets saved only till I Quit, then the saved games vanish off the
disks.

Jon

WILLIAMS@MAINE.BITNET (06/15/90)

I tried Stuffit, which seems to work well, stuffing and then unstuffing the
game.  It started and will post further successes or failures.  I would advise
trashing the disk system, as it will boot from the hard disk.  The system
enclosed with the master disk doesn't even inculde a quit command!

Thanks for the help.