[comp.sys.mac.games] More stuff on Citadel

es2q+@andrew.cmu.edu (Erik Warren Selberg) (06/28/90)

Well, I'm well into the game, and here's what I think about it so far
(review alert on)

Overall, the game's well done.  The graphics are excellent, and it
does a lot of in-depth things that have various pros and cons.
Creating characters is very unique and well implemented, albeit
there's a limit of 18 possible people.  Combat is also very well done,
in the fashion of Ultima but without the grid system.  I haven't found
too many puzzles (either that or they're much too easy to be
considered puzzles!), but from what I've seen it's somewhere between
Wiardry and Might & Magic's level.

now for the bugs (and there are a lot):
when making multiple characters, if you go over 18, the last character
keeps getting overwritten.  I lost a ninja with 18 STR & 18 DEX doing
this. <sigh>
  also, trying again too many times will result in a crash (nasty!)

during combat, sometimes removing the messages window results in a
freeze until you bring it back.  When it is showing, all magic that
would normally appear around the character/monster icons goes into the
messages window -- most annoying.

it doesn't like color or multifinder (which doesn't bug me, as I don't
have either).

there's no gold to be had in the game for what it takes to get to
level, which is damn annoying.  Therefore, you're forced to cheat by
one of several methods.... my favorite being resedit.

the elevator goes away, so you're stuck making a doorman out of a
party member (but you can split the party, so it's not too bad).

placement of objects can be terribly annoying.  For example, lighting
a new torch can be a complete pain, as you have to have two free hands
somewhere, and most times you have swords in them.  It's just a bit
more time consuming than it needs (also, there's no light spell for
some reason).

finding spell/map books took me a while, although they aren't that
bad.  It's just that one of the puzzles needs to be activated, and I
didn't gather that.

memorizing spells takes _too_long_, and the neat dialog's effect goes
away when you do a lot.

during combat, a lot of times you'll have a fighter with a huge range
who will be able to sit back and destroy monsters with lesser range...
which is not truly realistic, as chances are a real monster would move
into range.

the copy-protection code wheel is pretty bogus.

that's about it.... yes, there are a lot of gripes (hopefully someone
at Postcraft will get this), but it's a unique game, and really pretty
fun.

                          ...they call me fluppie...
\ ARPA: es2q@andrew.cmu.edu   Fido: 129/107  BBS: Mac @ Night (412) 268-5534 /
 \   GEnie: E.SELBERG  Delphi: LORDERIK  CIS: 71470,2127  MacList: 6009/1   /

jlc@atux01.UUCP (J. Collymore) (07/02/90)

In article <EaWXLJG00WI180bVU8@andrew.cmu.edu>, es2q+@andrew.cmu.edu (Erik Warren Selberg) writes:
> Well, I'm well into the game, and here's what I think about it so far
> (review alert on)
> For example, lighting
> a new torch can be a complete pain, as you have to have two free hands
> somewhere, and most times you have swords in them.  It's just a bit
> more time consuming than it needs (also, there's no light spell for
> some reason).

There IS a device however, that will give you light so that you will not
need torches (in fact, this device is essential once you find the "Magic Mouth"
in th the wall that will blow out ALL LIT TORCHES).

I will give you all two hints.
1)  Investigate all areas, even those that may appear to be dead ends.
2)  Carefully examine and investigate all niches (the windows in the walls
    that are filled with rocks).

Good luck.

						Jim Collymore