[comp.sys.mac.games] MacLanding/MacMissiles on an SE/30???

clg@guardian.cs.psu.edu (Craig Lee Gruneberg) (06/27/90)

I have recently extracted the games MacLanding and MacMissiles form
the sumex archives and have attempted to run them on my SE/30.

Occasionally I can get a play screen for MacLanding and play the
game. Most other times the Mac crashes. In the case of MacMissiles
I can't get anything to work without a crash.

Has anyone been successful in getting these to work on an SE/30?

Thanks for any tips,
Craig
--
Craig Lee Gruneberg    [clg@cs.psu.edu]|  Phone: [814]-865-9505
Penn State University                  |

jmunkki@hila.hut.fi (Juri Munkki) (07/07/90)

In article <F*gge.t@cs.psu.edu> clg@guardian.cs.psu.edu (Craig Lee Gruneberg) writes:
>I have recently extracted the games MacLanding and MacMissiles form
>the sumex archives and have attempted to run them on my SE/30.
>
>Occasionally I can get a play screen for MacLanding and play the
>game. Most other times the Mac crashes. In the case of MacMissiles
>I can't get anything to work without a crash.
>
>Has anyone been successful in getting these to work on an SE/30?

I almost got MacLanding to run on a Mac II. I think the remaining
problem was the screen size and some hard-wired system constants. The
first problem was that it used self-modifying code to make system trap
calls. This doesn't work when the instruction cache is enabled. To
disable the cache, use a public domain cdev or write your own program
(an FKEY would be adequate) to do it. With the cache disabled, it might
work, since it works on a regular SE.

Good luck,

\   Ws                                                                   H     /
 \  iu        Juri Munkki     Macintosh Support    jmunkki@hut.fi        PS   /
 /  nr        Helsinki University of Technology, Computing Centre        4X   \
/   df                                                                   8     \

Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu (Garance Drosehn) (07/11/90)

> In article <F*gge.t@cs.psu.edu>
              clg@guardian.cs.psu.edu (Craig Lee Gruneberg) writes:
> >I have recently extracted the games MacLanding and MacMissiles form
> >the sumex archives and have attempted to run them on my SE/30.
> >
> >Occasionally I can get a play screen for MacLanding and play the
> >game. Most other times the Mac crashes. In the case of MacMissiles
> >I can't get anything to work without a crash.
> >
> >Has anyone been successful in getting these to work on an SE/30?

For what it's worth, I've got an accelerator board in my SE which uses a
25Mhz 68020 chip.  Both MacLanding and MacMissles work fine with this
accelerator, *-IF-* I turn off the 68020 instruction cache.  On my
accelerator board that's just a matter of clicking on a box in the
accelerator control panel, I don't know if this is possible to do on
the SE/30.

Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu