[comp.sys.mac.games] Broderbund Copy protection and the Mac IIfx

rotberg@dms.UUCP (Ed Rotberg) (07/13/90)

Having recently upgraded my sytems to from a Mac II to an fx, I have run
into a problem with the Broderbund copy protection scheme on the two
Boderbund programs that I own: "Shufflepuck Cafe" and "Where in the World
is Carmen SanDiego?".  The programs will both run to the point of asking for
the master diskette, but when inserted, the systems crashes BIG TIME!!

As much as I don't approve of copy protection (I don't use it on my product),
I have so far respected Broderbund's policy with their software.  However,
when I call Tech support with this problem they told me that they have NO
PLANS to modidfy the programs to work on the fx because it is too small of
a market.  Besides, they never claimed it would work on an fx.

As far as I'm concerned this is a completely BS attitude.  It's my guess that
the programs will run just fine on the fx (they run on the rest of the Mac II
line), but it's just that the copy protections scheme crashes the system.

In any event, I'm looking for some help here.  Does anyone have a patch to
circumvent the copy protection on either or both of these programs?  I'm
pretty savvy about this stuff, so don't worry about getting too complex on
me.  Please post it here or Email directly to me at:

	 weitek!dms!rotberg[@dms.UUCP]

I thank you and my 8 year old son thanks you in advance.

 - Ed Rotberg -

chan@andante.UUCP (Thomas Chan) (07/13/90)

In article <1111@dms.UUCP> rotberg@dms.UUCP (Ed Rotberg) writes:
>Having recently upgraded my sytems to from a Mac II to an fx, I have run
>into a problem with the Broderbund copy protection scheme on the two
>Boderbund programs that I own: "Shufflepuck Cafe" and "Where in the World
>is Carmen SanDiego?".  The programs will both run to the point of asking for
>the master diskette, but when inserted, the systems crashes BIG TIME!!
>
>As much as I don't approve of copy protection (I don't use it on my product),
>I have so far respected Broderbund's policy with their software.  However,
>when I call Tech support with this problem they told me that they have NO
>PLANS to modidfy the programs to work on the fx because it is too small of
>a market.  Besides, they never claimed it would work on an fx.
>
>As far as I'm concerned this is a completely BS attitude.  It's my guess that
>the programs will run just fine on the fx (they run on the rest of the Mac II
>line), but it's just that the copy protections scheme crashes the system.
>
>In any event, I'm looking for some help here.  Does anyone have a patch to
>circumvent the copy protection on either or both of these programs?  I'm
>pretty savvy about this stuff, so don't worry about getting too complex on
>me.  Please post it here or Email directly to me at:
>
>	 weitek!dms!rotberg[@dms.UUCP]
>
>I thank you and my 8 year old son thanks you in advance.
>
> - Ed Rotberg -

Does anyone know how to go about getting rid of these copy protection schemes? I have Broderbund's Playmaker Football and have it installed in my hard drvie. Everytime I want to play it, I have to take out the original disk. Any help will be much appreciated.

T. C.