[comp.sys.mac.games] Tetris for Mac II: a bug with spacebar

fulk@cs.rochester.edu (Mark Fulk) (07/08/90)

I've been having a great deal of fun with this game, except that one
problem interferes: the space bar "drop" command (also the comma) stops
working after a few times.  Clicking on the Options menu always restores
it for one more stroke.  Consequently, I move the mouse to my left hand,
put the cursor on options, and click-space to drop.

Is there a patch or an update to this game that fixes the bug?  It is by
Spectrum Holobyte.

Mark

dans@microsoft.UUCP (Dan SPALDING) (07/10/90)

I have had no problems with tetris and the drop command, even after
several hours of playing!  What flavour of mac are you using?

Dan Spalding

conrad@sun.udel.edu (Jon Conrad) (07/10/90)

In article <55740@microsoft.UUCP> dans@microsoft.UUCP (Dan SPALDING) writes:
>I have had no problems with tetris and the drop command, even after
>several hours of playing!  What flavour of mac are you using?

Somehow the original posting to which this replies never reached my
network.  But this sounds like the identical problem I've had.  I have a
Plus, expanded to 2.5M.  Tetris always starts out fine then after about
a dozen moves the drop command (whether spacebar or down-arrow) stops
working.

I haven't really pursued an investigation as I've had other things to
do, but the problem seems to date from my acquisition of an extended
keyset--the Datadesk one (argh, is that the right name?...memory is
getting dim).  All the keys function as they should in the game, but
Drop stops working after a minute or so.  What gives?

Jon

fulk@cs.rochester.edu (Mark Fulk) (07/10/90)

In article <12556@sun.udel.edu> conrad@sun.udel.edu (Jon Conrad) writes:
>In article <55740@microsoft.UUCP> dans@microsoft.UUCP (Dan SPALDING) writes:
>>I have had no problems with tetris and the drop command, even after
>>several hours of playing!  What flavour of mac are you using?
>
>keyset--the Datadesk one (argh, is that the right name?...memory is
>getting dim).  All the keys function as they should in the game, but
>Drop stops working after a minute or so.  What gives?

That is the problem I described in my original posting.  And you seem
to have provided the answer: I also use a Datadesk keyboard on a IIcx.

Just to try to resolve this further, I'm going to take Masterstrokes
out of my system folder tonight, and see what happens.  It seems more
likely to be the software than the keyboard.

Mark

tld@wuphys.wustl.edu (Tyrone Daulton) (07/10/90)

In article <1990Jul8.023249.14080@cs.rochester.edu> fulk@cs.rochester.edu (Mark Fulk) writes:
>I've been having a great deal of fun with this game, except that one
>problem interferes: the space bar "drop" command (also the comma) stops
>working after a few times.  Clicking on the Options menu always restores
>it for one more stroke.  Consequently, I move the mouse to my left hand,
>put the cursor on options, and click-space to drop.

I have the identical problem with Tetris on my Mac IIx using multifinder.
Before I installed multifinder, Tetris worked perfectly on my machine. I have
not had the time to track down what the exact cause is and assumed it was
some sort of incapability with multifinder. BTW I have not tried clicking on
the Options menu as a short term fix.

Tyrone Daulton
Washington University in St. Louis
Department of Physics

johnt@seila.UUCP (john grant) (07/11/90)

with its 68020 enabled, when I use the 68000 it all works fine - since I
didn't buy the 68020 to collect dust, Tetris does instead.

	The pattern to the failure of the spacebar is that it will quit after
the first row has been successfully filled and removed.

	If someone knows a fix please tell and I'll dig up Tetris again ...

					John

dans@microsoft.UUCP (Dan SPALDING) (07/12/90)

In article <1990Jul10.144801.18240@cs.rochester.edu> fulk@avocado.cs.rochester.edu (Mark Fulk) writes:
>In article <12556@sun.udel.edu> conrad@sun.udel.edu (Jon Conrad) writes:
>>In article <55740@microsoft.UUCP> dans@microsoft.UUCP (Dan SPALDING) writes:
>>>I have had no problems with tetris and the drop command, even after
>>>several hours of playing!  What flavour of mac are you using?

Come to think of it, I don't ever use the keyboard...I use the keypad all the
time.  Sorry for the misinformation.

Dan Spalding

fulk@cs.rochester.edu (Mark Fulk) (07/12/90)

The original problem was that the drop command stopped working in
Tetris after a while.  I posted that spacebar and comma didn't work.
Others suggested using the keypad (I tried, it didn't work either).
Others wanted to know what system I was using (I asked if anyone else
had the problem, so as to narrow down what aspect of things might be
failing, rather than post a long system summary).  One person
suggested that Multifinder might be to blame ("Round up the usual
suspects").  One person posted that he had the problem too, ever
since he'd shifted to a datadesk keyboard.

AHA!

I removed Masterstrokes from the system folder, rebooted, voila!
(For those who don't know, Masterstrokes is the keyboard macro CDEV
that Datadesk ships with its keyboards.)

It works now.  Thanks everyone.

Mark

kanner@Apple.COM (Herbert Kanner) (07/13/90)

What in blazes is going on?  What conditions evoke the "spacebar" bug?
I have been playing Tetris under Multifinder on each of two Mac IIs
for a couple of years.  So have colleagues here.  No one in our
organization has seen this bug.

--
Herb Kanner
Apple Computer, Inc.

ns299ad@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (Pablo R Alvarez) (07/18/90)

In article <55740@microsoft.UUCP> dans@microsoft.UUCP (Dan SPALDING) writes:
>I have had no problems with tetris and the drop command, even after
>several hours of playing!  What flavour of mac are you using?
>
>Dan Spalding

We had some trouble with it on a Mac II cx, but I think it was die
to some INITs. It's working fine now.
--
Pablo R Alvarez (palvarez@ucsd.edu)