[comp.sys.mac.games] Solarian II on IIfx

baumgart@esquire.dpw.com (Steve Baumgarten) (07/12/90)

I can't seem to get Solarian II 1.02 to work on my IIfx.  I'm using
the Apple 8.24 card Apple Two Page Display.  I have the Monitors cdev
set to 256 colors (or gray levels, not that it matters).

It starts up fine, and the opening screen and high score screen are
displayed.  But as soon as the game starts -- a *big* crash.

Is this a known problem, or possibly an INIT conflict (I'm not running
that many, and they're almost all commercial products and very stable:
Suitcase II, QuicKeys, ATM, TypeAlign, Disktop INIT, Shield, etc.).

Any light you could shed on this would be appreciated.

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."

nf0i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Norman William Franke, III) (07/13/90)

Excerpts from netnews.comp.sys.mac.games: 12-Jul-90 Solarian II on IIfx
Steve Baumgarten@esquire (859)

> I can't seem to get Solarian II 1.02 to work on my IIfx.  I'm using
> the Apple 8.24 card Apple Two Page Display.  I have the Monitors cdev
> set to 256 colors (or gray levels, not that it matters).

I don't think it works with the Apple 8.24 board. I ran Solarian on a
Mac IIfx with a 19" SuperMac trinitron in 8 bits/pixel with no problems,
other than it would be nice if it would center the window on the screen
:-)

-Norman Franke
nf0i+@andrew.cmu.edu

eyiskis@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Eric Yiskis) (07/17/90)

In article <2169@esquire.UUCP> baumgart@esquire.dpw.com (Steve Baumgarten) writes:
>I can't seem to get Solarian II 1.02 to work on my IIfx.  I'm using
>the Apple 8.24 card Apple Two Page Display.  I have the Monitors cdev
>set to 256 colors (or gray levels, not that it matters).

By the way...

Solarian II doesn't seem to work with 32-bit quickdraw!

schabtac@stout.atd.ucar.edu (Adam Schabtach) (07/17/90)

In article <26a1ff33.3c83@petunia.CalPoly.EDU> eyiskis@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Eric Yiskis) writes:

>In article <2169@esquire.UUCP> baumgart@esquire.dpw.com (Steve Baumgarten) writes:
>>[ . . . ]
>Solarian II doesn't seem to work with 32-bit quickdraw!

False. It (version 1.02) works on my IIci, which ALWAYS has 32-BQD
turned on (it's in ROM).

The previous version did not work, however.

--
--Adam                 schabtac@stout.atd.ucar.edu
Disclaimer: The above has nothing to do with NCAR.

hairston@henry.ece.cmu.edu (David Hairston) (07/18/90)

[baumgart@esquire.dpw.com (Steve Baumgarten) writes:]
[] I can't seem to get Solarian II 1.02 to work on my IIfx.  I'm using
[] the Apple 8.24 card Apple Two Page Display.  I have the Monitors cdev
[] set to 256 colors (or gray levels, not that it matters).

the 8.24 card is probably "too new" for the assumptions that Solarian II,
v1.02 makes.  hey ben! time for an update ...

[eyiskis@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Eric Yiskis) writes:]
[] By the way...
[] Solarian II doesn't seem to work with 32-bit quickdraw!

hmmm, Solarian II, v1.02 works fine on my mac II, apple color monitor,
Toby color card, 8-bit color with 32-bit quickdraw.  did you isolate
the problem to 32-bit quickdraw in your enviroment?

  -dave-
hairston@henry.ece.cmu.edu

eyiskis@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Eric Yiskis) (07/21/90)

In article <HAIRSTON.90Jul17230331@henry.ece.cmu.edu> hairston@henry.ece.cmu.edu (David Hairston) writes:
>[eyiskis@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Eric Yiskis) writes:]
>[] By the way...
>[] Solarian II doesn't seem to work with 32-bit quickdraw!
>
>hmmm, Solarian II, v1.02 works fine on my mac II, apple color monitor,
>Toby color card, 8-bit color with 32-bit quickdraw.  did you isolate
>the problem to 32-bit quickdraw in your enviroment?

Yes, I did isolate the init, but I have another wrinkle,  I have two monitors.
I have noticed that some programs crash becuase of the combination of two
monitors and the init ( SuperPaint 2.0 worked great until I got a second
monitor!) Also, my color card is that RasterOps 24 bit color card ( I don't
know if that has any significance ).

- Eric Yiskis (eyiskis@polyslo.calpoly.edu)

roger@grenada.UUCP (Roger Corman) (07/21/90)

In article <HAIRSTON.90Jul17230331@henry.ece.cmu.edu> hairston@henry.ece.cmu.edu (David Hairston) writes:
>[baumgart@esquire.dpw.com (Steve Baumgarten) writes:]
>[] I can't seem to get Solarian II 1.02 to work on my IIfx.  I'm using
>[] the Apple 8.24 card Apple Two Page Display.  I have the Monitors cdev
>[] set to 256 colors (or gray levels, not that it matters).
>hmmm, Solarian II, v1.02 works fine on my mac II, apple color monitor,
>Toby color card, 8-bit color with 32-bit quickdraw.  did you isolate
>the problem to 32-bit quickdraw in your enviroment?

I think the problem with Solarian is not 32-bit quickdraw, but with 24-bit
video cards (which are generally running 32-bit quickdraw which probably
accounts for the confusion).  I ran it on a system which had *both* a
24-bit (RasterOps) card and an 8-bit Apple card.  32-bit QD was running,
and both cards were in 8-bit mode.  It would not run correctly on the
24-bit card, but ran fine if I dragged it over to the 8-bit screen.  Note
that the Apple 8.24 is a 24-bit board, by my definition, even when running
in 8-bit mode.  I have run across other programs which have problems
with 24-bit cards--I am not sure why.

Roger Corman
Island Graphics
149 Stony Circle, Suite 200
Santa Rosa, CA 95401
(707)523-4465
{uunet,sun,ucbcad!island!roger}

hairston@henry.ece.cmu.edu (David Hairston) (07/22/90)

[eyiskis@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Eric Yiskis) writes:]
[] By the way...
[] Solarian II doesn't seem to work with 32-bit quickdraw!

[hairston@henry.ece.cmu.edu (David Hairston) writes:]
[] hmmm, Solarian II, v1.02 works fine on my mac II, apple color monitor,
[] Toby color card, 8-bit color with 32-bit quickdraw.  did you isolate
[] the problem to 32-bit quickdraw in your enviroment?

[eyiskis@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Eric Yiskis) writes:]
[] Yes, I did isolate the init, but I have another wrinkle,  I have two
[] monitors. I have noticed that some programs crash becuase of the
[] combination of two monitors and the init ( SuperPaint 2.0 worked great
[] until I got a second monitor!) Also, my color card is that RasterOps 24
[] bit color card ( I don't know if that has any significance ).

can't say for sure about the two monitors.  however, the RasterOps card
is _known_ incompatible.

  -dave-
hairston@henry.ece.cmu.edu