[comp.sys.mac.games] Shanghai

halam2@ub.d.umn.edu (Haseen I. Alam) (07/31/90)

 Hi,

 I bought Shanghai 2.0 (color version) a few months back.  But it does
 not work properly on my IIci.  I called up Activision once again today,
 and they still do not have any plans for a fix.  The game is playable
 but everytime I try top get a new game or choose any of the other options
 like Tournament or challenge it chokes under uni-Finder and quits under
 Multifinder.  Does this work ok on the IIc, IIcx and IIfx?  I saw a posting
 some time back, saying that someone has it running on the IIci, but he
 uses Virtual.  Well I do not intend to buy Virtual just to play Shanghai.

 Now could that same person tell me if you are using the built in video or
 a second video card.  How much RAM you have?  I think Activision should
 plan on a fix.  I am sending them a letter sometime this week.  I think
 more people should complain about this, and maybe they might do something.

 Anyway.  Any help is appreciated.

 Haseen.

--
 .--------------------------------------------------------------------.
 |  Haseen Ibne Alam               |  email : halam2@ub.d.umn.edu     |

rick@jessica.stanford.edu (Rick Wong) (08/01/90)

In article <156@ub.d.umn.edu> halam2@ub.d.umn.edu (Haseen I. Alam) writes:

> I bought Shanghai 2.0 (color version) a few months back.  But it does
> not work properly on my IIci.  I called up Activision once again today,
> and they still do not have any plans for a fix.  The game is playable
> but everytime I try top get a new game or choose any of the other options
> like Tournament or challenge it chokes under uni-Finder and quits under
> Multifinder.  Does this work ok on the IIc, IIcx and IIfx?  I saw a posting
> some time back, saying that someone has it running on the IIci, but he
> uses Virtual.  Well I do not intend to buy Virtual just to play Shanghai.
>
> Haseen.

How much memory are you running it with?  I run it in a 1500K MultiFinder
partition on a IIci and IIfx, and it works fine.  (With the suggested 800K
partition, it always crashed whenever I tried to start a new game.)

One of the better reasons to get a memory upgrade....

Rick Wong
rick@jessica.stanford.edu

halam2@ub.d.umn.edu (Haseen I. Alam) (08/01/90)

In article <1990Jul31.170903.10754@portia.Stanford.EDU> rick@jessica.stanford.edu (Rick Wong) writes:
>In article <156@ub.d.umn.edu> halam2@ub.d.umn.edu (Haseen I. Alam) writes:
>>
>> I bought Shanghai 2.0 (color version) a few months back.  But it does
>> not work properly on my IIci.  I called up Activision once again today,
>> and they still do not have any plans for a fix.  The game is playable
>> but everytime I try top get a new game or choose any of the other options
>> like Tournament or challenge it chokes under uni-Finder and quits under
>> Multifinder.  Does this work ok on the IIc, IIcx and IIfx?  I saw a posting
>> some time back, saying that someone has it running on the IIci, but he
>> uses Virtual.  Well I do not intend to buy Virtual just to play Shanghai.
>>
>> Haseen.
>>

>How much memory are you running it with?  I run it in a 1500K MultiFinder
>partition on a IIci and IIfx, and it works fine.  (With the suggested 800K
>partition, it always crashed whenever I tried to start a new game.)
>
>One of the better reasons to get a memory upgrade....
>
>Rick Wong
>rick@jessica.stanford.edu

 Hi Rick,

 I have 5 megs on my IIci.  I beefed up the partition to 1024K, increased
 finders partition to 384K (as someone else suggested), used heap fixer to
 increase the system heap, but still no go.

 One person said, after he moved to 8megs his problems went away.  This is
 probably why it also works with Virtual.  But I neither have Virtual, nor
 the money to buy more RAM.  Maybe with sytem 7, it will work!!

 I am willing to volunteer to save all the e-mails that are sent/forwarded
 to me, regarding problems with Shanghai and mail them along with a letter
 to Activision.  I will not save any posting unless it is specifically
 mentioned.  So if you are having problems or know of someone, please drop
 me a line, but PLEASE do not use too personal remarks.

 Thanks for your cooperation.

 Haseen.
--