[comp.sys.mac.games] Humpback and What's Your Must Have?

naiman-jeffrey@cs.yale.edu (Jeffrey Naiman) (08/02/90)

Does anyone know how to play Humpback? I picked it up a while back but have
no clue what to do.

Secondly, what are people's favorite games? The must-have list so to speak.

My two cents: Everyone should own Colony and Falcon.

- Jeff Naiman

DARWEES@gecrdvm1.crd.ge.com (08/02/90)

Crystal Quest, Solarian II, Color Tetris and Mazewars+ II (with tons of players
) are my favorites....

-Mike Darweesh

wade@hobbes.ucsd.edu (Wade Blomgren) (08/03/90)

In an article, naiman-jeffrey@cs.yale.edu (Jeffrey Naiman) writes:
> Does anyone know how to play Humpback? I picked it up a while back but have
> no clue what to do.

I posted an (unoffical) illustrated user guide to Humpback to the net a
couple of years ago.  I'm not sure where it ended up, if anywhere (it's
not at sumex).  If individuals need it I can mail it out...I doubt if there
is sufficient interest to post it since the game itself has been around long
enough that most folks have completed it.

Wade Blomgren
wade@hobbes.ucsd.edu

sarwate@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (08/03/90)

Dark Castle, Beyond Dark Castle, Deja Vu: A Nightmare Comes True, Tetris,
Crystal Quest, Shanghai 2.0, Arkanoid, Shadowgate, Balance of Power,
Quarterstaff, Strategic Conquest 2.055

My personal list.

Does anyone have the code words for the Identify Wand in Quarterstaff?
I obtained the game through a wee bit of forbidden P-word.

Thanks much!

Sanjiv Sarwate
sarwate@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu

chris@momenta (Chris Christensen) (08/03/90)

Best Commercial Games
---------------------

Sim City		great game for none shoot 'em up fans
Falcon			best when played two player
Dark Castle		Still the best use of Mac graphics and sound
Beyond Dark Castle		"
Hardball		for baseball nuts

Best Shareware/Public Domain
----------------------------

Net Trek		but you have to have a network of people
Air Traffic Controller	a thinking persons game (fast thinking)
Glypha			Joust revisited
NetHack 3.0		not a great mac-like game, but a great game
Prase Craze		I just like hearing Vanna say bye-bye

I also have been told by people that Columns is one of the most addictive
games for the mac, but as the author, I am biased ;-)

Chris Christensen

jcoper@ccu.umanitoba.ca (D. Joseph Creighton) (08/04/90)

In article <25713@cs.yale.edu> naiman-jeffrey@cs.yale.edu (Jeffrey Naiman) writes:
>Secondly, what are people's favorite games? The must-have list so to speak.
>
>My two cents: Everyone should own Colony and Falcon.

Falcon 2.0 at least...

(Break left!  Break left!)

Hailing Frequencies Closed.
"Captain" D. Joseph Creighton

eyiskis@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Eric Yiskis) (08/04/90)

I think that most of us can agree that Falcon cool, but i find flying sort
of boring after a while; There is very little to crash into and there could
be more scenery (and color). The game that's on my wish list is Sphere's
Vette. They advertised it in one MacUser, but I haven't seen hide nor hair
of it since. The game is supposed to be the same quality as Falcon, but you
drive a wicked corvet through the streets of San Fransisco instead.
Does anyone know what happened to the Mac version of Vette? Has anybody
played the PC version and how is it?  Are there any really good driving games
for the mac ( I have played Accoloade's Grand Prix and I was disappointed ).
Is Test-Drive II good?

- Eric Yiskis (eyiskis@polyslo.calpoly.edu)

derek@leah.Albany.Edu (Derek L. / MacLover) (08/04/90)

From eyiskis@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Eric Yiskis) come these immortal words:
>Does anyone know what happened to the Mac version of Vette? Has anybody
>played the PC version and how is it?  Are there any really good driving games
>for the mac ( I have played Accoloade's Grand Prix and I was disappointed ).
>Is Test-Drive II good?

	I've played the PC version of 'Vette, and it's okay, although the
motion can be choppy and the graphics are primative (literally --
everything is made of primatives, vectors, although they are very well
done).  I thought the sense of speed and control was good; you felt you
were in a race, and going fast.  There were some bugs -- sometimes your car
or your opponent's would appear floating in midair, or be "intangible."
The best thing about the game in my opinion was its two-player ability
over a null-modem cable.  I'd assume that if a Mac version ever comes out,
it will do the same over LocalTalk cabling.

	I didn't play it too long (I'm not around PCs that often) but I did
like it, it was a lot of fun.

--
+ +   One Mac is worth exactly 2.317 PCs (based on current price indices)   + +
	Disclaimer:  I was asleep.	---}=-----F-e-n-c-e-r----------`