[comp.sys.mac.games] SimCity on FX

jt1r+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jee Tien Tan) (07/31/90)

Greetings Netters,

I have an FX (I know - lucky me!) and it seems that SimCity
bombs after a couple of seconds (when simulation begins)
I tried cleaning my system from all inits etc but it doesn't
work.

Is SimCity incompatible with FX ??
Will there be a release of a version that work with it?

Thanxs for listenin'.
Jee Tien Tan (a.k.a. Zachariah)         Limited Edition tm

5320 Fifth Ave  Apt#202                 ARPANET: jt1r@andrew.cmu.edu
Pittsburgh      PA 15232                BITNET:  jt1r%andrew@cmccvb.BITNET
(412) 682-5045                          UUCP: .. !harvard!andrew.cmu.edu!jt1r

pmcd@yunexus.yorku.ca (Phil McDunnough) (07/31/90)

In article <8ah_hci00UjHM1E_xK@andrew.cmu.edu> jt1r+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jee Tien Tan) writes:
>I have an FX (I know - lucky me!) and it seems that SimCity
>bombs after a couple of seconds (when simulation begins)

Well I don't know how lucky you are if you can't run SimCity!

>Is SimCity incompatible with FX ??
>Will there be a release of a version that work with it?

This is a good question. Is the version you have copy protected? If so
you should try SimCity Supreme which isn't. I believe it runs on the fx.

More generally, have you found that games have problems with the fx? I
had a ci which had lot's of problems with games, programs,etc...I wonder
whether the Mac will ever have good games. It makes for a great game
platform, but noone writes games for it on the assumption that people at
home will typically not have MacII()'s. I've gone from the II->IIcx->IIci,
and was about to get an fx but started asking myself questions as to why
I really needed more than my SE/30(with a Micron colour card) and a GS.
It could be that writing games for the Mac is just too hard to make it
worth the effort. Maybe the lowcost Mac's in October will change things.
But even then, programmers will write to the lowend and not worry about
the fx,ci,etc...And you can forget about the "follow the guidelines" bit,
as games rarely do. It's depressing, but I don't think the Mac will ever
be a good game computer(in the sense of having lots of good colour ones).
Does anyone out there have a contrary view? I want to believe I am
mistaken.

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto
philip@utstat.toronto.edu(or here)
[my opinions]

austing@Apple.COM (Glenn L. Austin) (08/01/90)

jt1r+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jee Tien Tan) writes:

>Greetings Netters,

>I have an FX (I know - lucky me!) and it seems that SimCity
>bombs after a couple of seconds (when simulation begins)
>I tried cleaning my system from all inits etc but it doesn't
>work.

>Is SimCity incompatible with FX ??
>Will there be a release of a version that work with it?

The problem is that SimCity is not compatible with 32-bit QuickDraw.  Guess
what's in the ROMs of the IIci and IIfx.  You're right.  32-bit QuickDraw.
So until they (and Broderbund) fix their software to work with 32-bit QD,
you won't be able to play it on your IIfx.

| Glenn L. Austin               | "Turn too soon, run out of room,          |
| Auto Racing Enthusiast and    |   Turn too late, much better fate"        |
| Communications Toolbox Hacker |   - Jim Russell Racing School Instructors |
| Apple Computer, Inc.          | "Drive slower, race faster" - D. Waltrip  |
| Internet:   austing@apple.com |-------------------------------------------|
| AppleLink:  AUSTIN.GLENN      | All opinions stated above are mine --     |
| Bellnet:    (408) 974-0876    |                who else would want them?  |

pmcd@yunexus.yorku.ca (Phil McDunnough) (08/01/90)

In article <43487@apple.Apple.COM> austing@Apple.COM (Glenn L. Austin) writes:
>The problem is that SimCity is not compatible with 32-bit QuickDraw.  Guess
>what's in the ROMs of the IIci and IIfx.  You're right.  32-bit QuickDraw.
>So until they (and Broderbund) fix their software to work with 32-bit QD,
>you won't be able to play it on your IIfx.

Is that the only problem with the fx? I thought the floppy drive had
problems with certain types of copy protection?

Regarding the ci, doesn't the way memory is allocated affect certain
games?

If the problems are all 32 bit Quickdraw(in ROM), is there no way to
override the loading of it, and just use ordinary Quickdraw?

jay@argosy.UUCP (Jay O'Conor) (08/02/90)

In article <43487@apple.Apple.COM> austing@Apple.COM (Glenn L. Austin) writes:
>jt1r+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jee Tien Tan) writes:
>
>>Is SimCity incompatible with FX ??
>>Will there be a release of a version that work with it?
>
>The problem is that SimCity is not compatible with 32-bit QuickDraw.  Guess
>what's in the ROMs of the IIci and IIfx.  You're right.  32-bit QuickDraw.
>So until they (and Broderbund) fix their software to work with 32-bit QD,
>you won't be able to play it on your IIfx.

It's fixed.  There's a new version that _does_ work with 32-bit QuickDraw.
I've been enjoying it very much on my IIci.
Sorry, I don't remember a specific version number, but the package is
clearly labled 32-bit QuickDraw compatible, and lists the IIci as one of
the supported systems.  Sorry, I don't remember if the IIfx was
supported or not.

Jay O'Conor
jay@maspar.com

carson@tron.UUCP (Dana Carson) (08/04/90)

In article <43487@apple.Apple.COM> austing@Apple.COM (Glenn L. Austin) writes:
>jt1r+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jee Tien Tan) writes:
>
>>Is SimCity incompatible with FX ??
>>Will there be a release of a version that work with it?
>
>The problem is that SimCity is not compatible with 32-bit QuickDraw.  Guess
>what's in the ROMs of the IIci and IIfx.  You're right.  32-bit QuickDraw.
>So until they (and Broderbund) fix their software to work with 32-bit QD,
>you won't be able to play it on your IIfx.

They have.  Call and get the exact details but I believe $13 will get
you the 32-bit QD fix.

Dana Carson
Westinghouse Electronic Systems Group  Mail Stop 1615
UUCP:carson@tron.UUCP
     carson@tron.bwi.wec.com
     ...!uunet!tron!carson
AT&T: (301) 765-3513
WIN: 285-3513

kyt@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Kok Yong Tan) (08/04/90)

In article <43487@apple.Apple.COM> austing@Apple.COM (Glenn L. Austin) writes:
[stuff deleted]

>The problem is that SimCity is not compatible with 32-bit QuickDraw.  Guess
>what's in the ROMs of the IIci and IIfx.  You're right.  32-bit QuickDraw.
>So until they (and Broderbund) fix their software to work with 32-bit QD,
>you won't be able to play it on your IIfx.

Uh...SimCity Supreme version 1.2c works fine with 32-bit Quickdraw on a Mac
IIx.  You can upgrade.  Just call and ask Maxis Software about it--I got
SimCity upgraded to 1.2c a couple of months ago.

Kok-Yong Tan
Kok-Yong Tan can be contacted via: 	| "Oscularis fundamentum!"
InterNet: kyt@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu	|    	       - Annoyed Latin scholar
CompuServe: 75046,256	      	   	|
America Online: Lallang	      	   	|

generous@alxfac.UUCP (Curtis Generous) (08/06/90)

Question: Is SimCity incompatible with FX ??

carson@tron.UUCP (Dana Carson) writes:
>They have.  Call and get the exact details but I believe $13 will get
>you the 32-bit QD fix.

I called MAXIS directly complaining about the problem (I have a ci), and
they sent me a _free_ update.  It's nice to run accross companies like
this once in a while.  Note: you can only run in 16 color mode, and there
is a known problem with 6.0.5 which can be gotten around by first setting the
monitor to 4 colors, and once the game has started, change back to 16 colors.

--curtis
--
Curtis C. Generous
Defense Technical Information Center (DTIC)

austing@Apple.COM (Glenn L. Austin) (08/08/90)

pmcd@yunexus.yorku.ca (Phil McDunnough) writes:

>In article <43487@apple.Apple.COM> I wrote:
>>The problem is that SimCity is not compatible with 32-bit QuickDraw.  Guess
>>what's in the ROMs of the IIci and IIfx.  You're right.  32-bit QuickDraw.
>>So until they (and Broderbund) fix their software to work with 32-bit QD,
>>you won't be able to play it on your IIfx.

>Is that the only problem with the fx? I thought the floppy drive had
>problems with certain types of copy protection?

If the copy protection requires direct access to the IWM/SIWM chip, you're
correct.  The disk controller is not accessable directly, although there is
a new .Sony device control call to read data from the disk directly.

>Regarding the ci, doesn't the way memory is allocated affect certain
>games?

As long as the games use the Memory Manager, there should be no problems.  The
only problems show up when you have smaller SIMMs (in RAM size) in bank A than
you do in bank B.  If you have the larger SIMMs in bank A, the memory map is
the same as it is on any other II-class machine.

>If the problems are all 32 bit Quickdraw(in ROM), is there no way to
>override the loading of it, and just use ordinary Quickdraw?

I've thought a lot about this one, but I haven't had time to tear apart the
ROM code for 32-bit-QD-in-ROM.  It may be one of those "total rewrite" type
of deals where rewriting software to work with 32-bit QD is quicker and
easier than writing Color QD for the IIci/IIfx.