[comp.sys.mac.games] "Must Have" Game Lists

jepullia@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (John Pulliam) (08/02/90)

In article <25713@cs.yale.edu> naiman-jeffrey@cs.yale.edu (Jeffrey Naiman) writes:

>Secondly, what are people's favorite games? The must-have list so to speak.
>
>My two cents: Everyone should own Colony and Falcon.

I don't know Colony, but agree completely wih Falcon.  Super-true
flight simulator for the F-16.  Takes a while to learn how to "fly"
it, but so does the real thing.  So realistic, several writers of
military fiction have taken to using it as their introduction to the
experiences of the US fighter pilot.

Two other "must haves" (my opinion, of course):  Balance of Power and
Sim City.  Both are fun (although Balance of Power starts to get a bit
tedious as you search for the "right" answer), and both are _really_
enlightening.  Of course, Balance of Power loses some of its impact
with the end of the Cold War...

steve@uswmrg2.UUCP (Steve Martin) (08/03/90)

This is an interesting subject, but maybe people could categorize there
choices.  Might I suggest:

Arcade style games: Continuum, Dark Castle etc.
Arcade style simulations: Falcon, Flight Sim, Orbiter
Military Simulations: Patton vs. Rommel, Universal Military Simulator
Abstract Strategic Games: Chess, Shangai, NetHack

This is not my list of "Must Haves." I just wanted to provide some
examples of the categories.

--
Steve Martin                         | Nothing I say can be held against
U S West Marketing Resources Group   | Me or my employer!

ylsul@athena.mit.edu (Young Sul) (08/09/90)

In article <1990Aug3.163620.16867@uswmrg2.UUCP> steve@uswmrg2.UUCP (Steve Martin) writes:
>Arcade style games: Continuum, Dark Castle etc.
These 2 games are GREAT!! (Hard as all get-out, but still fun)

>Arcade style simulations: Falcon, Flight Sim, Orbiter
Had Falcon on a PC -- its really good, but there's a better version
of this out now for the PC -- I don't think the better version is out
for the Mac :-(

>Military Simulations: Patton vs. Rommel, Universal Military Simulator
Never played any of these types -- what are they like?

>Abstract Strategic Games: Chess, Shangai, NetHack
I also like playing solitaire (sorta strategic)...there's no dealing involved..

>Steve Martin

I'm looking for a good flight simulator for my 4MB SE. I know of:

	-Fokker Triplane Simulator
	-P-51 Mustang Simulator
	-Chuck Yeager's Advanced Flight...
	-Microsoft FS (but the older version)
	-Harrier FS
	-Apache Strike (?)
	-Sierra's helicopter FS

Do any of you out in NetLand have any preferences?
I've never played any of these (cept for one) and would like to be
'forewarned.'

				-Young Sul