[comp.sys.mac.games] What features for Mac bridge program?

rolf@sparc1 (08/10/90)

   I read with the interest the views that people expressed about games
being done badly for the Macintosh. I have found that the only 2 bridge
programs I have found for the Mac were ports of old Basic programs from
the Apple ][ or Commodore 64.
   I have been working on a bridge program for the Mac for some time now.
I would like to hear from you (e-mail, please) what you would like to
see in such a program. Of course, it has to bid and play bridge (doing so
well is quite a trick in itself!), but what else would you like to see?
What options? What kind of interface? What will you use it for?
Here is your chance to make your views heard. I will read and consider
all responses.
--

Rolf Wilson   Illinois State Geological Survey

russ@convex.COM (Russell Donnan) (08/13/90)

In article <1990Aug10.165859.28025@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> rolf@sparc1 writes:
>(...) but what else would you like to see?
>What options? What kind of interface? What will you use it for?
>Here is your chance to make your views heard. I will read and consider
>all responses.
>--
>
>Rolf Wilson   Illinois State Geological Survey

You had no email address, so I decided to post here.  Maybe others
would be interested also...

1) I would like to see it work over a network with 1-4 real players,
and the computer picking up the ones that didn't really exist.

2) Play several different conventions, and allow selection of
conventions for each team.  (Goren against Precision, etc...)  This
would be *REALLY* great for practice.  I have seen Bridge 6.0 from Art
Worx (sp?) and this was the missing feature I wanted most.

3) For beginners, a (WHY?) button after each bid by the computer.  This
is a great learning tool.

4) Now here is the tallest order:  I want the program to be able to
beat me consistently.  The three games I played using Bridge 6.0,
I won hands down.  (Did I miss something?)
--
Russ Donnan, (214) 497-4778, russ@convex.com
Convex Computer Corporation, 3000 Waterview Parkway, Richardson, TX

rotberg@dms.UUCP (Ed Rotberg) (08/16/90)

From article <104877@convex.convex.com>, by russ@convex.COM (Russell Donnan):
> In article <1990Aug10.165859.28025@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> rolf@sparc1 writes:
>>(...) but what else would you like to see?
>>What options? What kind of interface? What will you use it for?
>>Here is your chance to make your views heard. I will read and consider
>>all responses.
>>--

A truly noble endeavor.  I must tell you that I have long wanted to do just
this, but I WILL NOT foist crap on the bridge playing populace.  I have NO
DESIRE to do just another me too incompetent program.  I already have one
bridge product out for the Mac (Mike Lawrence's Bridge Dealer - no it's NOT
a game) and have talked a lot with Mike about doing a game.  He has agreed
to help if I ever get a line on a good flexible approach.  My best guess
so far would be to write an expert system and let Mike teach it everything
he knows, but this is not trivial, nor is it clear that such an approach
would be at all successful.

The bidder is not nearly the problem that the player is.  I could talk for
pages and pages about the attendant problems with both, but suffice it to
say it is not a task for the casual programmer.  In response to the question
of what I would like to see...

It must not only take into account bids that were made, but also bids not
made by a player (negative inference) in determining proper bidding and
play.  It must not only take into account cards thta are played, but also
cards NOT played (why not??) by a player.  I must continually keep a likely
shape and card scenario for each hand which gets updated as more info is
revealed.  It must be able to LEARN new bidding and playing conventions.
It MUST NOT CHEAT!!!!!

The list goes on and on, but I for one am not interested in a program until
it can do all of the above and more.  All of the games out there so far are
completely incompetant and not good for anything but NOVICE learning.  After
the bare essentials are learned by a player these programs become at best
laughable, and a worst teach BAD habits.

Remember, bridge, unlike chess, is a temporal game.  I chess you can look at
the board at any time and determine the best move without reference to how
the current position was arrived at.  THE SAME IS ABSOLUTELY NOT TRUE OF
BRIDGE!!!!!

Believe me, I know where of I speak.  I have been professionally designing
games for 12 years, and playing bridge for 22.

	- Ed Rotberg -