[comp.sys.mac.games] Solarian Sounds

baumgart@esquire.dpw.com (Steve Baumgarten) (07/20/90)

While I'm waiting for Ben to patch Solarian to work on the Apple 8.24
video card, I thought I might at least enjoy some of its excellent
sounds.  They seem to be stored as "snd " resources, but Resedit
claims that it can't play them.  I remember a long time ago someone
posted a patch to fix this, but I don't remember any of the details.

Is it possible to extract the sounds from Solarian?  If so, what does
one need to do?

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."

clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) (08/04/90)

In article <2192@esquire.UUCP> baumgart@esquire.dpw.com (Steve Baumgarten) writes:
>Is it possible to extract the sounds from Solarian?  If so, what does
>one need to do?

As I recall, if you open Solarian with ResEdit and simply give the sounds
_names_, they will miraculously become playable.  Anyway, SoundEdit can
read and play them after the Naming, when it wouldn't beforehand...

<chaz>

--
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
       "Must think...bubble pipe will relax me and I think..."

deane@galileo.ifa.hawaii.edu (Rebel Without A Clue) (08/16/90)

This may be a dirty trick, but I'm going to point you all to my
roommate.  He spent an all-nighter ripping sounds from Solarian
and drawing a startup screen in Pixel Paint from scratch.
It looks/sounds great, but he was pretty wiped afterwards. He
edited the sounds and made them into standard files playable
by SoundPlay, etc.

Leifk@lslvax.lanl.gov
Above is his address, and his name is Leif.  Tell him his demon
roomie sent you. He'll be annoyed, but should be cooperative!
:)

James "Roommate traitor" Deane
deane@galileo.ifa.hawaii.edu