[comp.sys.mac.games] Solarian II version 1.03 - testers needed!

deadman@garnet.berkeley.edu (Ben Haller) (08/03/90)

Hey everybody.  This is Ben Haller, the author of Solarian II.  I'm about
to do version 1.03.  It should fix the 24-bit board bug, and may fix other
(all?) bugs as well.  Anybody with particularly unusual hardware
configurations who'd like to beta-test, send me your name, e-mail address
(no non-email addresses, please - I'd like to be fast), hardware/software
configuration, and if your system seems unusual enough, I'll send you a
beta.
  Guidelines for "what's weird enough":
    1. Mac IIfx - I need at least one
    2. 24/32 bit boards, multiple monitors - I've got machine to test on
already.  I don't need more.
    3. Prerelease System software (like 7.0a9 or whatever it is) - I need
you a lot.
    4. A/UX - I have *no* *idea* if Solarian works in A/UX.  I'd like to
at least satisfy my curiosity, and maybe make it work if I can't get
guidelines for how to do so.
    5. Other people who have experienced somewhat repeatable or chronic
problems that aren't common (no black desktop bugs, 32 bit bugs, help key
bugs, QuickKeys bugs here folks.  I know about them).
  BTW, if you have a wish list for Solarian II, send it to me.  If they're
minor, I'll probably do them, if they're not but I like them, I might do
them, but if I don't like them I'll ignore them and possibly make rude
jokes about you to my friends which might get back to you if you're very
unlucky or very unpopular.  Seriously, I have no aversion to constructive
criticism, just time limitations, so give me a try.
  Reply direct mail please.  I don't read this or any other list.
  Thanks everybody who has sent their money.  Curses/reminders to those
who haven't.  And thanks for your help and support, everybody.  Sorry if
I'm a little slow to do these things, or reply to your mail (marc@apple,
you there?)  Electroshock therapy might help, but I have a hunch I wouldn't
be able to code as fast afterwards...so you've gotta put up with me...
-Ben Haller (deadman@garnet.berkeley.edu)

doron@tavdac.dec.com (Doron Angel) (08/15/90)

In article <1990Aug3.122910.20273@agate.berkeley.edu>, deadman@garnet.berkeley.edu (Ben Haller) writes...
>Hey everybody.  This is Ben Haller, the author of Solarian II.  I'm about
>to do version 1.03.  It should fix the 24-bit board bug, and may fix other
>(all?) bugs as well.  Anybody with particularly unusual hardware
>configurations who'd like to beta-test, send me your name, e-mail address
>(no non-email addresses, please - I'd like to be fast), hardware/software
>configuration, and if your system seems unusual enough, I'll send you a
>beta.
>  Guidelines for "what's weird enough":
>    1. Mac IIfx - I need at least one
>    2. 24/32 bit boards, multiple monitors - I've got machine to test on
>already.  I don't need more.

 A guy that is working for an Apple sub-dealer over here wnats to test this
version on thier MAC IIfx 24 bit board (Raster-ops) and 19" monitor.

 Is it possible?
                         *-Doron-*

+--------------------------------------*-------------------------------------+
| Name : Doron Angel                   |  DTN   : 882-3003                   |
| Org. : Digital Equipment Corporation |  Phone : 972-52-593003              |
| POB  : 2033                          |                                     |
| City : Herzliya                      |                                     |
| Zip  : 46733                         |                                     |
| State: Israel                        |                                     |
+--------------------------------------*-------------------------------------+
|                                                       ------               |
|   Keep it simple and be happy with it !              / .  . \              |
|           ******        *****                       ||  ..  ||             |
|                                                      \  \/  /              |
|                                                       ------               |
+--------------------------------------*-------------------------------------+

JAHAYES@MIAMIU.BITNET (08/16/90)

I'd just like to put in a short plea to the author (strangely,
can't seem to get mail through directly) to consider the
possibility of writing future versions to allow play on
non-color-or-greyscale monitors....I've seen the game, it
looks wonderful, but I have only a sad little Plus to play
it on and of course, it don't work. Can't even run it on
my wife's IIcx, which has a monochrome monitor....there's
a huge potential market out there, and I can't believe it
requires that much new code to do (my wife has volunteered
to write the changes in exchange for credit for doing so,
for what that's worth, but only if it's written in C).

The percentage of the mac market that has the required
hardware has got to be well under 25%, I think.
________
Josh Hayes, Zoology Department, Miami University, Oxford OH 45056
voice: 513-529-1679      fax: 513-529-6900
jahayes@miamiu.bitnet, or jahayes@miamiu.acs.muohio.edu
And Welcome, dear friends, to the wonderful world of snails
and adventure, as we board the Golden Hind.

lsh@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Lan S Hsieh) (08/19/90)

In article <90227.130941JAHAYES@MIAMIU.BITNET> JAHAYES@MIAMIU.BITNET writes:
>I'd just like to put in a short plea to the author (strangely,
>can't seem to get mail through directly) to consider the
>possibility of writing future versions to allow play on
>non-color-or-greyscale monitors....I've seen the game, it

I'll second that!
--
Veljko Roskar                            | roskar@jhuvms.bitnet
Department of Chemical Engineering       | roskar@jhuvms.hcf.jhu.edu