[comp.sys.mac.games] Solarian II 1.0.2 bug?

i4ny@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (08/23/90)

Has anyone else noticed that Solarian II (v. 1.0.2) often will not remember
the last score and thus even if you set a high score, it will not give you
an opportunity to add your name to the score list?  Associated with this
happening, the game will not display the GAME OVER screen and play the end
game sound.  This has happened sporadically for all types of scores, but in
particular, I have never been able to save a score above 386,000.

weesh@grymoire.crd.ge.com (Darweesh) (08/23/90)

I think it has something to do with holding the mouse down when you finish
your game.  I haven't actually intentionally tried to do this, but I did notice
that I had been holding the mouse button when this happened to me last night.
I'm not sure though, but it's something to try.

-Mike Darweesh
weesh@crd.ge.com

du4@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Ted Goldstein) (08/23/90)

In article <5161.26d31c4d@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> i4ny@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:
>Has anyone else noticed that Solarian II (v. 1.0.2) often will not remember
>the last score and thus even if you set a high score, it will not give you
>an opportunity to add your name to the score list?  Associated with this
>happening, the game will not display the GAME OVER screen and play the end
>game sound.  This has happened sporadically for all types of scores, but in
>particular, I have never been able to save a score above 386,000.

I have noticed this also. I believe that the high score is not remembered
if you ever pause the game during play. If this is indeed the case, I
think IMHO that this is an extremely unfriendly, obnoxious feature to
put into a game. All games have pause functions for a good reason, and
no others that I know of deprive you of a high score when you use it. If
you are having a great game, struggling through level 11 or whatever and
the phone rings or someone walks in and talks to you - you're screwed.
If I am incorrect about this feature, then I apologise in advance for
my complaint. Soloarian in a great game, but this pause thing (and the
slow reacting shield) can be very frustrating.
--
Ted Goldstein                            E-mail: du4@mace.cc.purdue.edu
Network and Systems Admninistrator       Phone : (317) 494-9070