[comp.sys.mac.games] Might & Magic II - lvl 12 wizard can't cast fireball

18215MES@MSU.BITNET (08/26/90)

I have a level 12 wizard with 25 points of intlligence, and fairly
high points in all other traits.. Any idea why I can't cast the fireball?
None of my other characters can successfully use any  enchanted iems
capable of casting the fireball either???

What gives?

Thanks for any ideas..  (any folks from New  World Computing There know?)
Mark Sartor

kjp@ecn.purdue.edu (Kevin J Podsiadlik) (08/27/90)

In article <58218215MES@MSU> 18215MES@MSU.BITNET writes:
>I have a level 12 wizard with 25 points of intlligence, and fairly
>high points in all other traits.. Any idea why I can't cast the fireball?
>None of my other characters can successfully use any  enchanted iems
>capable of casting the fireball either???
>
>What gives?

My guess is that you are aiming at a monster currently in hand-to-hand combat
with the party.  The spells Cold Ray and Acid Spray for Clerics, and Web,
Fireball, Disrupt and Fantastic Freeze for Sorcerers are restricted to monsters
not in hand-to-hand combat.

In M&MI, casting Fireball on a monster in hand-to-hand will affect the monster,
but it will also affect the character the monster is in hand-to-hand with.  A
more severe penalty for carelessness, but perhaps more realistic.  Chacun a
son goute, as the French say.  (Roughly: To each his own.)

Kevin Podsiadlik               "The last Cuisinart frenzies, spending itself on
kjp@en.ecn.purdue.edu     corpses.  All survivors split 40,000,000 experience."