[net.railroad] Forwarding: Re: Signaling on the NYC Subway

Burton.osbunorth@Xerox.ARPA (12/28/85)

 - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
From: Larry Lippman <larry@kitty.uucp.arpa>
Subject: Re: Signaling on the NYC Subway
To: railroad@rochester.arpa
Newsgroups: net.railroad

>> Could someone explain the signals used on New York's subway system?
There is
>> quite a variety of them, with different numbers of red, yellow and
green
>> lamps in various arrangements.
> This is only part of the story.
> This is one of my favorite subjects in the world.

	Mine, too!  One of my favorite books (I am into historical technology)
is a reprint of a book entitled: "Interborough Rapid Transit" originally
published in 1904, and reprinted by The Arno Press, LC number 71-90436.
This
book provides a number of fascinating photographs and details on the
first
New York City subway system; there is about 10 pages on the signalling
system.

> I can go on at any length or depth on this that anyone wants to hear.
> spent a large part of my childhood and adolescence in NY roaming the
> subways, communicating with the then-NYCTA, collecting prints, circuit
> diagrams, interlocking plans, etc....

	I'd love to find out more details, and would like to get some further
documentation for my "collection" if you have any sources.

==>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York

----------------
I suggest contacting the Electric Railroaders' Association, in
Manhattan, in New York City .  They have, or did have, an active
publications department, with all kinds of good stuff.  Another
possibility is the public relations department of the new York City
Transit Authority.    Try Don Harold, if he still works there.  (Say I
sent you, but it's been some years now.)  The TA used to give out these
great 8 x 10 glossies of old subway cars.

Another possibility is the New York Public Library on Fifth Avenue at
42nd Street, which has vast specialized collections.  When I was a
teenager, say 20 years ago [gasp !!!], I spent a lot of time in the New
York History sections.  They even have special folders on printed
material on the subway system, including the predecessor Els.

Other possibilities, which I have not explored personally include the
New York Historical Society, the Regional Planning Association, the Port
Authority and other government agencies.  Another great source is old
issues of the New York Times.  Just look up the topics in the summaries,
and then read the issues.  Kind of depressing in a way.  "Plus ca
change, plus ca rest la memo chose. "  (With apologies for no cedille
below the c's.

Phil Burton
Xerox Corporation
415 496 6514

"Just a nice Jewish boy from Brooklyn who happens to live in Palo Alto,
CA."

percus@acf4.UUCP (Allon G. Percus) (01/03/86)

> It seems that NYC subway signaling is hot topic.  If memory serves
> correct, there was only 1 subway station in NYC that the passangers had
> to actually cross the tracks to reach the station.  Where is the station ?
> And was there special signalling there ?

I believe you are referring to one of the stations out on the Canarsie
line in Brooklyn (it is now called the "L" train), where there was,
until the '70's, a level crossing.  There was no special track
signalling that I know of, just a gate man to operate the crossing.
The level crossing was later replaced by a more conventional bridge.

I think I read about this in Stan Fischler's "Uptown, Downtown" ---
if not that, it must have been Brian Cudahy's "Under the Sidewalks
of New York" (which, if I may say so, is the most definitive
book on the NYC subway system which I've ever read).

           .
        -------
        |-----|             A. G. Percus
        |II II|      (ARPA) percus@acf4
        |II II|       (NYU) percus.acf4
        |II II|      (UUCP) ...{allegra!ihnp4!seismo}!cmcl2!acf4!percus
        |II II|
        -------

percus@acf4.UUCP (Allon G. Percus) (01/03/86)

> I don't know, but the oldest subway station in the US, Park Street Station
> on Boston's green line, still has surface level tracks on the upper level
> that you have to cross if you want to get a doughnut (unless you want to
> go downstairs and cross via the red line platform).  I keep expecting a
> bad accident and subsequent lawsuit here, but it hasn't happened yet.

I doubt it -- in practice, the Park Street station (green line, that is)
is no more than an indoor tram station, so it shouldn't have many more
accidents than an ordinary outdoor tram station.

           .
        -------
        |-----|             A. G. Percus