[comp.sys.mac.games] Sands of Fire problem

jcoper@ccu.umanitoba.ca (D. Joseph Creighton) (09/13/90)

>(Matt Evett) writes:
>Does anyone know anything about this game?  I've seen it advertised and am
>interested in just how good a game it is.  Does it have a reasonable
>interface?

Actually, I've tried it and would suggest that you *not* go for it.  It seems
to be a bit non-responsive to what you want to do in the game.  To wit:

Anyone know why tanks in your formation will *not* follow you down the
assigned route?  I have tried many things, the best (that I can think of)
being a formation of Leading Column, then I resume the planned route until
the driver is aligned with the angle for travelling.  I wait about 2 seconds
then stop, giving the other tanks time to form up behind me (I assumed the
biggest problem might have been that I took off too soon).  I would then
do this about two more times.  Full ahead - wait - stop.  On average only
2 out of 4 tanks would follow.

HELP!
---
                ___---
  +------__--~~~   _~--------------------------------------------------------+
  | __-~~        _~   "You could feel the wind at your back in those days... |
 _-~            ~_    the sound of the sea beneath you...even if you take    |
~-_              ~_   away the wind and the water, it's still the same. The  |
  |~--_           ~_   ship is yours, you can feel her, and the stars are    |
  |    ~~--__      ~_   still there, Bones." - Kirk, The Ultimate Computer   |
  +----------~~~---_~_-------------------------------------------------------+
  | Hailing Frequencies Closed.                "Captain" D. Joseph Creighton |

jimvons@ashtate (Jim von Schmacht) (09/14/90)

In article <1990Sep12.232659.450@ccu.umanitoba.ca> jcoper@ccu.umanitoba.ca (D. Joseph Creighton) writes:
>Anyone know why tanks in your formation will *not* follow you down the
>assigned route?
Yes.  Not all follow you for a specific reason: when you engage the enemy, it
leaves a reserve vehicle or two to switch to when you've had twinkies blasted
out of you.  If you engaged with all vehicles, you might not be able to switch
and therefore not able to complete your mission.

It is a little unrealistic though...in my second last battle of the british
campaign, I was able to knock out 50 tanks (37 Tigers, 6 Panzer IVs,
7 Panzer IIIs) with my one tank...I know I'm a good shot, but really...

Jim von Schmacht
--
Jim von Schmacht    Senior Member, Project Test Staff    Ashton Tate Corporation
Disclaimer: Standard Issue