[comp.sys.mac.games] Tetris 35,000 points, that good?

TJACOBS@cc.utah.edu (09/07/90)

A friend of mine has achieved 35000 or so points in Tetris (the game not the
DA) and is wondering if thats a respectable score or not.

Anybody have a higher score?

Just curious.

sarwate@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (09/07/90)

I worship the ground he walks on. That is an amazing achievment.

syzy@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Don Lee) (09/08/90)

--
That's a very respectable score - was that with or without look ahead?  A
friend of mine and I had a bit of a competition on Tetris a while back and

meuchen@grad2.cis.upenn.edu (Paul Eric Menchen) (09/09/90)

In article <5402.26e83b61@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> syzy@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Don Lee) writes:
>In article <90928@cc.utah.edu>, TJACOBS@cc.utah.edu writes:
>> A friend of mine has achieved 35000 or so points in Tetris (the game not the
>> DA) and is wondering if thats a respectable score or not.
>>
>> Anybody have a higher score?
>>
>> Just curious.
>--
>That's a very respectable score - was that with or without look ahead?  A
>friend of mine and I had a bit of a competition on Tetris a while back and
>I managed to get 61,000+ (once - with look ahead) to edge out his 55,000+
>score. I think I've gotten above 30,000 only about five times.

I can play forever, and have reached 30,000 thousand and managed to
clear out everything on the bottom. The game gets pretty boring. This
summer for a challenge I started games on level 9 with 13 layers of
trash. It took a while but eventually and now repeatedly I can clear
out all of the trash and have nothing left on the bottom.

Your patterns of play and your consideration of what is below will
probably change a lot from the normal game. Once you've done it for
while though, even this becomes boring.

-Eric
meuchen@grad1.cis.upenn.edu

thegerm@alchemy.UUCP (Joel Lingenfelter) (09/09/90)

In article <90928@cc.utah.edu> TJACOBS@cc.utah.edu writes:
>A friend of mine has achieved 35000 or so points in Tetris (the game not the
>DA) and is wondering if thats a respectable score or not.

>Anybody have a higher score?

>Just curious.

My roomate has a 36,575 and a friend of mine has achieved 64,000 or so.  Still,
35,000 is a respectable score.  My personal high is 24,000.

Joel Lingenfelter

barry@network.ucsd.edu (Barry Brown) (09/09/90)

In article <5402.26e83b61@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> syzy@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Don Lee) writes:
>In article <90928@cc.utah.edu>, TJACOBS@cc.utah.edu writes:
>> A friend of mine has achieved 35000 or so points in Tetris (the game not the
>> DA) and is wondering if thats a respectable score or not.
>>
>That's a very respectable score - was that with or without look ahead?  A
>friend of mine and I had a bit of a competition on Tetris a while back and
>I managed to get 61,000+ (once - with look ahead) to edge out his 55,000+
>score. I think I've gotten above 30,000 only about five times.

While watching a friend of mine play (a probably older version of) Tetris on
his 8MHz IBM clone, I noticed that the speed at which the shapes dropped
peaked after a certain point.  The top speed was, perhaps, 1-2 seconds from
top to bottom.  This, of course, made it extremely easy to amass a huge
score.

I have not noticed this behavior on non-IBM versions of the game.  All the
others continue to speed up until it becomes nearly impossible to move your
fingers fast enough.

I'm not an avid Tetris player and I've rarely broken 10,000 on my Mac.

--
Barry E. Brown        --        \  Cal-Animage Beta publicity officer
bebrown@ucsd.{edu,uucp,bitnet}   \   Anime Stuff FTP Server administrator

ajz@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (T. Tim Hsu) (09/10/90)

My personal best is only 10,000 something on the color version of Tetris
running on a Mac II without lookahead and without using the pause command.  My
little brother has hit 20,000 or so with the use of the pause command and he
tells me that a friend of his has gotten to 100,000 or so using both the pause
and the lookahead.  I've never been able to score more than 3,000 points on
level 9 without using the pause command.

--

T. Tim Hsu                           UUCP    ...pur-ee!ajz@mentor.cc.purdue.edu
                                     ARPA    ajz@mentor.cc.purdue.edu

rcbaem@rw7.urc.tue.nl (pooh 'Ernst' Mulder) (09/10/90)

In article <90928@cc.utah.edu> TJACOBS@cc.utah.edu writes:
>A friend of mine has achieved 35000 or so points in Tetris (the game not the
>DA) and is wondering if thats a respectable score or not.
>
>Anybody have a higher score?
>
>Just curious.

My roommate got to 50,000 and got bored.... He simply quit! :) And that without
tricks to slow the system down. We were just ready to try the advanced mode
and columns came out. I downloaded it yesterday at about 9PM and at 1:30
AM we were still playing it... What a Challenge!!! The first game of columns
I got about 120, and now about 300... Probably not that good huh? ...

Greetings,  pooh

deichman@cod.NOSC.MIL (Shane D. Deichman) (09/15/90)

In article <90928@cc.utah.edu> TJACOBS@cc.utah.edu writes:
>A friend of mine has achieved 35000 or so points in Tetris (the game not the
>DA) and is wondering if thats a respectable score or not.
>
>Anybody have a higher score?
>
>Just curious.

Tetris is the kind of game that you can get into a groove on and
never stop (that is, until your eyes start watering, your wrist
starts aching, and your hand starts cramping -- I'm not as good
right-handed as I am left-handed).  Once I broke 20,000, I got
scores of 32,000; 45,000; then 53,000! (800+ lines).  On the DA,
I got similar scores, then on one fateful day broke 1,000 lines
with a score of 72,000.  I have no scores in the 60's, so it's
possible to get on a tear....

[Note:  I am confident that these scores are some of the highest
around....  I've been eagerly searching for competition in the
Southern Calif. area for a tourament.  I was only a runner up
in a Tetris championship in San Francisco last March, though the
guy who beat me can get nowhere close to my IBM (boo, hiss) score
of 18,000 -- a much harder system than is on the Mac].

  |/|/|/|/|
  |       |
  |       |
  |   (o o)
  C       _)
  |  ,___/
  |    /
 /______\       "Don't have a cow, man!"

 -shane d deichman

kuokwong@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kuok-shoong Daniel Wong) (09/18/90)

In article <90928@cc.utah.edu> TJACOBS@cc.utah.edu writes:
>A friend of mine has achieved 35000 or so points in Tetris (the game not the
>DA) and is wondering if thats a respectable score or not.

I have a friend who had 40000 or so points. I myself have only got just
over 20000 ...
--- Daniel Wong ---
Electrical Engineering, class of '92               Princeton University
kuokwong@pucc (BITNET)
kuokwong@phoenix.princeton.edu (Internet)