[comp.sys.mac.games] Columns enhancements

chris@momenta (Chris Christensen) (09/14/90)

jurjen@cwi.nl (Jurjen NE Bos) writes:

>My wife complained that the sounds for above 500, 600 and 700 are
>identical.  Is that high enough?

This is one of the complaints I have received about the game. The problem
guys is that I did not think such scores were possible ;-)

I have been getting motivated to start Son of Columns (Columns showing up
as one of the hot picks in Compuserve's September mag helped).
Maybe this is a good time to ask what changes people would like to see.

I would certainly do the following:

Larger window on larger displays
Larger playing area optional
More types of tiles optional
More sounds
Color
Bonus scores for harder configurations

I might do:

Make it easier to add custom sounds
More than 3 pieces droping at a time
More than one piece dropping at a time
Rotating pieces horizontal vs vertical
Puzzle mode (pieces don't drop until you tell them to)

What would you vote for?

weesh@grymoire.crd.ge.com (Darweesh) (09/14/90)

I would like key repeat to be enabled.  I'm sure there's a reason not to have
it enabled, but an option would be nice.

Thanks,
-Mike Darweesh
weesh@crd.ge.com

pmeyer@ecocd7.intel.com (Paul Meyer) (09/14/90)

In article <1990Sep13.171236.11352@momenta> chris@momenta (Chris Christensen) writes:
>jurjen@cwi.nl (Jurjen NE Bos) writes:
>

>I have been getting motivated to start Son of Columns (Columns showing up
>as one of the hot picks in Compuserve's September mag helped).
>Maybe this is a good time to ask what changes people would like to see.
>
>I would certainly do the following:

(...)
>Color
^^^^^^

Just make sure that Color is OPTIONAL!  Two Bit mode is a must for us
Plus/SE owners.  Don't leave us out like Solarian did!

** Paul Meyer (602)554-2078 ** "I remember reading somewhere that men learn **
** Intel Corp. CH3-40       ** to love the person they're attracted to and  **
** 5000 W. Chandler Blvd.   ** that women become more and more attracted to **
** Chandler, AZ 85210       ** the person that they love."                  **
** pmeyer@cmdnfs.intel.com  **    Sex, Lies, and Videotape                  **

rcpieter@svin02.info.win.tue.nl (Tiggr) (09/16/90)

chris@momenta (Chris Christensen) writes:

>I would certainly do the following:

>Larger playing area optional
>Make it easier to add custom sounds
>More than 3 pieces droping at a time
>Rotating pieces horizontal vs vertical

What about mixing Tetris and Columns?  I.e. the tiles used are
Tetris tiles on a Tetris sized board, but removing blocks is
Columns style: not that full lines (like Tetris) vanish, but
3 or more similar patterned blocks (like Columns) vanish.

You might call it Tetrums.  In fact, the first time a friend
of mine saw Columns, he made up the game&name for Tetrums.
Oh, I haven't thought about copyrights and other crap.

Tiggr

rcbaem@rw5.urc.tue.nl (pooh 'Ernst' Mulder) (09/17/90)

Personally I don't think Columns should be too fancy... The game is
a beauty as-is, only a couple of small enhancements (like auto-repeat
on the keys, and the keyapth's '0' instead of the '2' as the drop-key)
would make it better... It would also be nice if it were a DA.

Another small lack is that when it comes up with a 'enter your name'
dialog, the current entry isn't selected. What about a TESel(bla, 0, 32767)?
(Or was it TESelect?)

At the moment I can't think of anything more, combining Columns and
Tetris would make it more challenging, but it would also make it a
completely _new_ game. Currently getting scores higher than 600 gives
me enough troubles :)))))

BTW, Columns is much more challenging than Tetris :)

pooh

ralphm@portia.Stanford.EDU (Ralph Melton) (09/18/90)

I would really like to have a pause key.  Finding the mouse as the block is
dropping can be extremely panicky.

Ralph

--

Ralph Melton