[comp.sys.mac.games] Columns high score

weesh@grymoire.crd.ge.com (Darweesh) (09/10/90)

Yea, that's a respectable score, but you'll find with a little more practice,
the game starts getting boring and you feel like you can play forever.
In a typical game, I'll play 'till around 35,000 or 40,000 points and then
turn off look ahead and see how long I last.  I usually just quit after
a couple thousand more points though.

Has anyone played colums much yet?
My high score is 473.

-Mike Darweesh
weesh@crd.ge.com

jurjen@cwi.nl (Jurjen NE Bos) (09/10/90)

My wife complained that the sounds for above 500, 600 and 700 are
identical.  Is that high enough?

--
|                 | "Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what |
| Jurjen N.E. Bos | it might appear to others that what you were or might |

JJK106@psuvm.psu.edu (Jeff Kochosky) (09/11/90)

My personal high is around 375, but my fiance has broken 550 (fortunately, she
doesn't gloat about it too much)
-----
  Jeff Kochosky -       :  "If you miss the train I'm on, you will know that
   jjk106@psuvm.psu.edu :  I am gone... you can hear the whistle blow a
   jjk106@psuvm.bitnet  :  hundred miles..."
   jjk106@haydn.psu.edu :         - "Five Hundred Miles" by The Hooters/PP&M

jay@hpldola.HP.COM (Jay Geertsen) (09/12/90)

> Has anyone played colums much yet?
> My high score is 473.

My brother, Jeff, has the highest score that I am aware of at 719.  My
personal best is 716.  I have no doubts that others have achieved higher
scores, and I'm curious to know if anyone has broken 800.

- Jay Geertsen

fujikawa@srava.sra.co.jp (Kazuhisa Fujikawa [91/03]) (09/13/90)

From article <12070002@hpldola.HP.COM>, by jay@hpldola.HP.COM (Jay Geertsen):
>> Has anyone played colums much yet?
>> My high score is 473.
>
> My brother, Jeff, has the highest score that I am aware of at 719.  My
> personal best is 716.  I have no doubts that others have achieved higher
> scores, and I'm curious to know if anyone has broken 800.

My personal high score is 680, but my wife achieved 780.
She plays that before sleep every night.;-0
Also, I heard that one of my colleague had broken 1000.

--
-----------------------------
Kazuhisa Fujikawa

deichman@cod.NOSC.MIL (Shane D. Deichman) (09/15/90)

>> Has anyone played colums much yet?
>> My high score is 473.
>
>My brother, Jeff, has the highest score that I am aware of at 719.  My
>personal best is 716.  I have no doubts that others have achieved higher
>scores, and I'm curious to know if anyone has broken 800.

I haven't heard of this game yet (and I thought I was a Tetris
fanatic!).  Is it anything like Blockout, California Dreams' 3D
Tetris game?

If not, who markets it?  Any and all comments appreciated.

-shane d deichman

chris@momenta (Chris Christensen) (09/21/90)

deichman@cod.NOSC.MIL (Shane D. Deichman) writes:

>I haven't heard of this game yet (and I thought I was a Tetris
>fanatic!).  Is it anything like Blockout, California Dreams' 3D
>Tetris game?
Can't say. I don't know these games
In columns, groups of three blocks fall from the top of the screen. You can
shift the order of the blocks as it falls and position it. When it lands
all sequences of three of more blocks with the same pattern disappear
(and you score based on the number of blocks eliminated). After these
blocks disappear, the remaining blocks fall to the bottom. This sometimes
causes chain reactions.

>If not, who markets it?  Any and all comments appreciated.
It is a $5 shareware game available from Compuserve, America Online,
and many local bulleting boards.

>>and I'm curious to know if anyone has broken 800.
I got a letter from someone who claims to have scored 1000!
(Notice that at no time do my fingers leave my hands).
(Someone scored 1,200 on a prototype version, but that was before I put
in the speeding up of blocks falling)

The Author