[comp.sys.mac.games] SimCity questions

so@duke.cs.duke.edu (Steve Owen) (09/11/90)

Well, I've played SimCity a couple of time, and I'm hooked!  But
before I shell out the bucks to buy it, a few questions:

1. What is the difference between SimCity and SimCity Supreme?
I have heard that SC Supreme supports multifinder, color, and is not
copy protected.  Is this true?  Are there any other differences?
Which machines does it work on?  Does SC Supreme also support black
and white (such as my Mac Plus)?
(That's a lot for 1 question doncha think?  :-)

2. What is the Terrain Editor?

3. Any tips/strategy for a novice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
                              Steve Owen
ARPA:   so@cs.duke.edu                  Department of Computer Science
CSNET:  so@duke                         Duke University
UUCP:   {mcnc,decvax}!duke!so           Durham, NC 27706 USA
"It pays to be obvious, especially if you have a reputation for subtlety."
- Isaac Asimov
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

firth@sei.cmu.edu (Robert Firth) (09/11/90)

In article <652994503@grad11.cs.duke.edu> so@duke.cs.duke.edu (Steve Owen) writes:

>Well, I've played SimCity a couple of time, and I'm hooked!  But
>before I shell out the bucks to buy it, a few questions:

Sim City is one of my favourite games too.  Let me encourage you
to buy it.

>1. What is the difference between SimCity and SimCity Supreme?

The supreme versionis different in two ways

(a) it is not copy protected

(b) it is in colour - and the colour is really gorgeous.  The cities look
    like real cities.

>2. What is the Terrain Editor?

A separate program.  (Note: when I bought it, you could get a special
deal if you bought it and the Supreme upgrade as a package.)

It has three major uses, any one of which in my opinion is worth
the money

(a) You can make small edits to existing games in progress.  For instance,
    you can add a bit of land to squeeze in another zone; you can build
    tiny islands so that bridges, tunnels and power lines can cross each
    other; you can do serious landscaping.

(b) You can create entire terrain maps yourself.  For example, you could
    create the geography of your favourite real city and then grow it!

(c) The terrain editor can also create new maps using its own algorithm.
    This algorithm has five parameters that can be adjusted dynamically,
    giving a very wide variety of terrain types.

>3. Any tips/strategy for a novice would be appreciated.

I'll restrict it to one: when you buy the game (and I hope you do),
register your purchase with Maxis.  They will send you a short and
interesting newsletter from time to time.

Hope that helps

cp26+@andrew.cmu.edu (Christopher Thomas Parker) (09/11/90)

OK...For everyone's reference:

1. SimCity Supreme (the latest version is 1.2 I believe.) is 32-bit CQD
(Color QuickDraw) compatible and support 16 colors >ONLY<.  It will not
work on the Mac Plus or SE, or any system that supports less than 16
colors.   It is not copy protected.  It does run under MultiFinder.

2.  The Terrain Editor allows you to create your own initial starting terrain.

3. Embezzling is fun, but will get you in loads of trouble later.

- Chris
cp26@andrew.cmu.edu

"He who smiles in the face of adversity has found someone else to blame it on."
         "To capture the essence of an opinion takes but one lawyer."

hildreth@cg-atla.agfa.com (Lon Hildreth) (09/11/90)

In article <8547@fy.sei.cmu.edu> firth@sei.cmu.edu (Robert Firth) writes:
>In article <652994503@grad11.cs.duke.edu> so@duke.cs.duke.edu (Steve Owen) writes:
>
>I'll restrict it to one: when you buy the game (and I hope you do),
>register your purchase with Maxis.  They will send you a short and
>interesting newsletter from time to time.

I bought the game and registered it a little more than a year ago.  Very
quickly I recieved a newsletter from them, but I never got another one.
Have they sent out any others?

Also, does anyone know the differences between version 1.1 and 1.2?

--
Lon Hildreth		...!{decvax,uunet,samsung}!cg-atla!hildreth
Agfa Compugraphic		or	hildreth@cg-atla.agfa.com

mwauford@utkux1.utk.edu (Melissa Wauford) (09/12/90)

In article <8547@fy.sei.cmu.edu> firth@sei.cmu.edu (Robert Firth) writes:
>I'll restrict it to one: when you buy the game (and I hope you do),
>register your purchase with Maxis.  They will send you a short and
>interesting newsletter from time to time.

How often is from time to time?  I registered the Simcity I got for
Christmas, got one newsletter in response in January, and have heard
nothing from them since.

--

                                            Melissa
                                            mwauford@utkvx.utk.edu

lorner@csuchico.edu (Lance Orner) (09/26/90)

In article <QavDe4a00VpJ81L1M4@andrew.cmu.edu> cp26+@andrew.cmu.edu (Christopher Thomas Parker) writes:
>OK...For everyone's reference:

>3. Embezzling is fun, but will get you in loads of trouble later.

Using a sector editor like MacSnoop in the data fork of the save file works
wonders for getting money.  And you don't have to worry about being caught.

BTW:  What exactly do you mean "but will get you in loads of trouble later"?

--
--Lance M. Orner             |  Without the software to run the
California St. Univ., Chico  |  hardware, you get _nowhere_!

cp26+@andrew.cmu.edu (Christopher Thomas Parker) (09/27/90)

"Loads of trouble later" means that if you embezzle funds while you're playing
the game, your chances of having a natural disaster occur are substantially
increased, >regardless of the setting of the "No Disasters" option!<

Needless to say this is not a whole lot 'o' fun, and should probably be
thrown over for the data fork editing method.

-Chris
"Ever notice that .plan files read like profiles for a computer dating service?"

gford@nunki.usc.edu (Gregory Ford) (09/27/90)

In article <Yb0CNfK00WC0Q8zG14@andrew.cmu.edu> cp26+@andrew.cmu.edu (Christopher Thomas Parker) writes:
>"Loads of trouble later" means that if you embezzle funds while you're playing
>the game, your chances of having a natural disaster occur are substantially
>increased, >regardless of the setting of the "No Disasters" option!<
>
>Needless to say this is not a whole lot 'o' fun, and should probably be
>thrown over for the data fork editing method.
>
>-Chris
>"Ever notice that .plan files read like profiles for a computer dating service?"

Well that's mostly true.  But, my roomie figured out that if you embezzle
those funds more than five times (you people who know how to embezzle know
what I am talking about), then, yes, you will get a natural disaster (notice
the earthquake menu option is now greyed.

However, if you only embezzle four or less in succession, then you will be
ok, and no ill effects (outside of the norm) will come your way.  Just wait
a little while before taking more money.  I mean, who really needs $4592832134?

Well, I could use.....

* Greg Ford				GEnie:    G.FORD3		      *
* University of Southern California	Internet: gford%nunki.usc.edu@usc.edu *

loeffler@phoenix.aca.mcc.com (David D. Loeffler) (09/27/90)

My daughter figured out that the best time to get your money by
embezzling was to do before you built anything.  Then the nature
disasters don't bother you so much.  She got $1M and then set that tax
rate real low and built, built, built until she have everything
covered and the city seemed to be stable with modest growth at the end
and still lots of $$.

I like starting with the minimum myself and the hard setting.
David D. Loeffler                               Phone: (512) 338-3666
Microelectronics and Computer Technology Corporation
3500 West Balcones Center Drive, Austin, Tx 78759
ARPA: Loeffler@MCC.COM
UUCP: {ihnp4,seismo,harvard,gatech,pyramid}!ut-sally!loeffler%mcc.com