[comp.sys.mac.games] Speed of Tetris on different Macs

anthes@geocub.greco-prog.fr (Franklin Anthes) (09/30/90)

A while back I saw several messages go by, where people talked about
getting very high scores in Tetris. Now I wonder whether the game
runs at the same speed on all Macs? I think a fairly small difference
( 5% or so ) in the speed on level 9 could make a big difference.
--

	Frank Anthes-Harper :  Bien le bonjour de la France
	anthes@geocub.greco-prog.fr

c60b-2ax@e260-2f.berkeley.edu () (10/01/90)

This message is empty.

deichman@cod.NOSC.MIL (Shane D. Deichman) (10/02/90)

In article <257@geocub.greco-prog.fr> anthes@geocub.greco-prog.fr (Franklin Anthes) writes:
>A while back I saw several messages go by, where people talked about
>getting very high scores in Tetris. Now I wonder whether the game
>runs at the same speed on all Macs? I think a fairly small difference
>( 5% or so ) in the speed on level 9 could make a big difference.

  I don't know about different speeds on the Mac, but a friend of mine
who has a 286-XT (incidentally, the gentleman who introduced me to
Tetris) managed to "cheat" to beat the high score I had set on his
machine.  Not being able to top my then-ibm high score of 10,000, he
selected "joystick" mode when he booted up (those that have seen the
baby blue version know that there is such a prompt at the start).

Not having a joystick hooked up, what resulted was a VERY slow speed
game which he ran on the keyboard.  After some 45 minutes of slow
torture, he stopped the game with a score of over 12,000.  He never
told me how he did it until, after three hours of trying, I broke
17,000 at the "normal" speed....

Tetris purists will be pleased to know that the game is a LOT easier
on the Mac if you use the peek-mode -- with the Mac, you can type the
control commands while the last line you deleted is disappearing; when
the piece appears, it will instantaneously enact all commands and end
up where you want it.  On the ibm, the keyboard is disabled while the
line(s) disappear, so you have to wait until the block actually appears
on the screen to move it....  (Also, the Mac has the neat Control Panel
functions which allow you to adjust the sensitivity of the keyboard....)

Hey -- all's fair in love and Tetris!  ;-)

-shane d deichman

kenh@hscfsas1.harvard.edu (Ken Hancock) (10/02/90)

In article <2295@cod.NOSC.MIL> deichman@cod.nosc.mil.UUCP (Shane D. Deichman) writes:
>In article <257@geocub.greco-prog.fr> anthes@geocub.greco-prog.fr (Franklin Anthes) writes:
>>A while back I saw several messages go by, where people talked about
>>getting very high scores in Tetris. Now I wonder whether the game
>>runs at the same speed on all Macs? I think a fairly small difference
>>( 5% or so ) in the speed on level 9 could make a big difference.

Oh yeah -- they're difinitely different.  Tetris is radically different
on a 512KE and a SE/30.  Even better -- use Multifinder and download
something in the background.

Ken

--
Ken Hancock                   | INTERNET: kenh@hscfsas1.harvard.edu
Isle Systems                  | Disclaimer: My opinions are mine,

cp26+@andrew.cmu.edu (Christopher Thomas Parker) (10/02/90)

In <2295@cod.NOSC.MIL> deichman@cod.NOSC.MIL (Shane D. Deichman) writes:

>Tetris purists will be pleased to know that the game is a LOT easier
>on the Mac if you use the peek-mode -- with the Mac, you can type the
>control commands while the last line you deleted is disappearing; when
>the piece appears, it will instantaneously enact all commands and end
>up where you want it.

Yeah, but if you really want to cheat on the mac... read on...

Pause the game.  Then, hold down the space bar for a while.  Then,
release the pause and force the score to refresh.  I racked up 208,000
after wedging a quarter in the space bar and going off to dinner.
This'll work for the DA and the application.

- Chris
cp26@andrew.cmu.edu

"He who smiles in the face of adversity has found someone else to blame it on."
         "To capture the essence of an opinion takes but one lawyer."

In article <4b1zzEG00WBK4472YL@andrew.cmu.edu> cp26+@andrew.cmu.edu (Christopher Thomas Parker) writes:
>>Tetris purists will be pleased to know that the game is a LOT easier
>>on the Mac if you use the peek-mode -- with the Mac, you can type the
>>control commands while the last line you deleted is disappearing; when
>>the piece appears, it will instantaneously enact all commands and end
>>up where you want it.
>
>Yeah, but if you really want to cheat on the mac... read on...
>

>Pause the game.  Then, hold down the space bar for a while.  Then,
>release the pause and force the score to refresh.  I racked up 208,000
>after wedging a quarter in the space bar and going off to dinner.
>This'll work for the DA and the application.

You just reminded me of a way to "cheat" on Crystal Quest (a VERY
enjoyable game, if I may say so myself).  On CQ, the object is to
move your "ship" around the screen, picking up all of the crystals,
then make it through a portal at the bottom of the screen which open
er opens up after all crystals have been recovered.  You are timed,
and get a bonus for completing the screen in as little time as possible.

CQ also has a pause key (the TAB button on my machine).  If you hit
TAB just as you enter the escape hatch at the bottom of the screen,
the game will stop (your icon will disappear since you've already
escaped), but the timer will start running in REVERSE!  It can even
go into negative times, so it's possible to get ANY score at ANY
level (that is, if you're patient enough -- since each second is
worth 500 points, an hour is worth 1.8 million; leave it on overnight
and you've got a score in excess of 10 million!).  Of course, to
figure the score also takes time since the counter has to run through
each 500 point increment, but it works!  AND, at lower levels, you get
an extra man for every 15,000 points.  Great fun....

	 |   (o)(o)
	  | ,____/
	  |    /
	 /______\        -- "I'm outta here, man!"