[comp.sys.mac.games] game cheat

michel@etl.go.jp (Michel Pasquier) (10/03/90)

>In article <4b1zzEG00WBK4472YL@andrew.cmu.edu> cp26+@andrew.cmu.edu (Christopher Thomas Parker) writes:
>>>Tetris purists will be pleased to know that the game is a LOT easier
>>>on the Mac if you use the peek-mode -- with the Mac, you can type the
>>>control commands while the last line you deleted is disappearing; when
>>>the piece appears, it will instantaneously enact all commands and end
>>>up where you want it.
>>Yeah, but if you really want to cheat on the mac... read on...
>>Pause the game.  Then, hold down the space bar for a while.  Then,
>>release the pause and force the score to refresh.  I racked up 208,000
>>after wedging a quarter in the space bar and going off to dinner.
>>This'll work for the DA and the application.

 Right. Actually I understand one might find some interest in the search for
a way to break a game (defeat copy protection, cheat for high score and so
on), for this is indeed truly a kind of game into the game, probably the same
sort of challenge that appeals to virus writers/trackers, password crakers,
and CoreWars fans... Hackers? Or maybe one would say: real programmers? ;-)

 Anyway, if computer programming is an art, it will probably cease to be so
the very day when the last bug will have disappeared. Meanwhile humans can
still look for one of their favourite excitement, trying to break rules,
looking for difficulty, challenge yes, and danger...

 Therefore I believe that "advice" as the one given above (no personal flame)
are real SPOILERS and should be warned as such. Nobody likes to be given the
answer to an enigma before he had definitely given up finding by himself.

 Thanks for paying attention to that sort of things. And my apologies if
this should belong to comp.sys.mac.games.philosophy...

 -Michel

ps: The most efficient way to get ANY high-score you want in Tetris is...

obviously to edit the binary code itself. Useful to impress other people
(for those without dignity 1/2:-) or to change your highscore name
if you had mistaken or don't like it any more... but absolutely no fun.
And it's the same with many games anyway...
If you want to know more precisely, e-mail.

--
  Michel Pasquier ........................ AIST/MITI Guest Researcher
  ElectroTechnical Laboratory . Intelligent Machine Behaviour Section