[comp.sys.mac.games] STRATEGO

jcoper@ccu.umanitoba.ca (D. Joseph Creighton) (10/04/90)

In article <1990Oct2.110552.1329@dhw68k.cts.com> thecloud@dhw68k.cts.com (Ken McLeod) writes:
>In article <1990Sep26.134714.28620@ccu.umanitoba.ca> jcoper@ccu.umanitoba.ca (D. Joseph Creighton) writes:
>>I recently downloaded Stratego from the sumex-aim.stanford.edu site and am
>>wondering if that is the latest version?  The last modification date is
>>1988...
>
> And a long two years it's been, to be sure. I have good news and bad news.
>The good news is that a new version of Stratego is finally available.

Yeah!

>The bad news is that 2-player-via-Appletalk/modem stuff wasn't considered a
>"priority", and didn't make it into this initial release.

Too bad.  I think that any type of player-vs-player format far exceeds
player-vs-computer in both interest (the strategy with your friends will
change as they learn to beat you and vice versa) and in marketability
(think of all the networks in schools, universities, and businesses that
will hoard computer time playing this game!!)

>                                                    ... The other bad news
>[depending on your point of view] is that Stratego is now a commercial
>product, licensed by Milton Bradley and published by Accolade.

*Gasp!*

This is terrible!  Horrendous!  Incredulous!

Giving in to the almighty dollar, eh?  Finally bowing down to the big
corporations and their wads of moolah by selling them your programs, eh?

...Damn, I envy you...

:)
---
                ___---
  | __-~~        _~   "One of the advantages of being the captain is being   |
 _-~            ~_     able to ask for advice without necessarily having to  |
~-_              ~_    take it."                   - Kirk, "The Omega Glory" |
  |~--_           ~_  "There really is no substitute for holding the reins." |
  |    ~~--__      ~_                          - Picard, "The Icarus Factor" |
  | Hailing Frequencies Closed.                "Captain" D. Joseph Creighton |