[comp.sys.mac.games] Problems w/ Toxic Ravine & Mombasa

francis@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu (RD Francis) (09/26/90)

I've tried running Mombasa and Toxic Ravine on a Mac II, 5Megs, B&W
monitor with and without Multi-Finder, as well as on a 1-Meg Mac Plus.
All I get is system crashes.  What am I doing wrong here?
--
R David Francis   francis@cis.ohio-state.edu

crwth@kuling.UUCP (Olle G{llmo) (09/27/90)

From article <84071@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, by francis@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu (RD Francis):
> I've tried running Mombasa and Toxic Ravine on a Mac II, 5Megs, B&W
> monitor with and without Multi-Finder, as well as on a 1-Meg Mac Plus.
> All I get is system crashes.  What am I doing wrong here?
> --
> R David Francis   francis@cis.ohio-state.edu

I had the same problem. Toxic Ravine and Mombasa don't seem work
under system 6. Try an older system (I use version 4.2).

	/Crwth

george@swbatl.sbc.com (George Nincehelser 5-6544) (10/01/90)

In article <1700@kuling.UUCP> crwth@kuling.UUCP (Olle G{llmo) writes:
>From article <84071@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, by francis@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu (RD Francis):
>> I've tried running Mombasa and Toxic Ravine on a Mac II, 5Megs, B&W
>> monitor with and without Multi-Finder, as well as on a 1-Meg Mac Plus.
>> All I get is system crashes.  What am I doing wrong here?
>> --
>> R David Francis   francis@cis.ohio-state.edu
>
>I had the same problem. Toxic Ravine and Mombasa don't seem work
>under system 6. Try an older system (I use version 4.2).
>
>	/Crwth

Whoa...hold on here!  Both programs work great on my SE and IIcx with systems
6.0.4 and 6.0.5.  Check for an init conflict or possibly corrupted applications.

--
   /   George D. Nincehelser           \  uunet!swbatl!george       \
  / /   Southwestern Bell Telephone     \  Phone: (314) 235-6544     \

bkuo@sal-sun32.usc.edu (Benjamin Kuo) (10/01/90)

Have you tried Toxic Ravine and Mombasa without running either MacroMaker
or Multifinder? I've found those two to usually foul TR and Mombasa up
rather nastily. (boom, crash, burn...)

Ben

ted@cs.utexas.edu (Ted Woodward) (10/02/90)

In article <1700@kuling.UUCP> crwth@kuling.UUCP (Olle G{llmo) writes:

>I had the same problem. Toxic Ravine and Mombasa don't seem work
>under system 6. Try an older system (I use version 4.2).

>	/Crwth

I solved this problem.  Both TR and Mombasa do their graphics in some really
strange way (so much for following guidelines...) and absolutely HATE
MacroMaker.  If you can get them to run with it (this works for me after the
1st crash and an exittoshell), they don't add macromaker to the menu and
change it's menu icon to an 'M' in other programs.  Get INIT and define
your minimum to be everything but MacroMaker, and boot with tab held down.
THEN they work.

It seems to me you'd have to do something REALLY strange (like not calling
DrawMenuBar() to draw the menu bar) to have this problem...Get with it, guys!
Write COMPATABLE code!  It's not that difficult; just look at all of the
quality stuff that DOES work with MacroMaker...

--
Ted Woodward (ted@cs.utexas.edu)

Greetings, Royal Ugly Dudes!

rmh@apple.com (Rick Holzgrafe) (10/02/90)

In article <1700@kuling.UUCP> crwth@kuling.UUCP (Olle G{llmo) writes:
> Toxic Ravine and Mombasa don't seem work
> under system 6.

Both work fine for me. Mac IIfx, system 6.0.5, lotsa RAM.

Rick Holzgrafe              |    {sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual}!apple!rmh
Software Engineer           | AppleLink HOLZGRAFE1          rmh@apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.        |  "All opinions expressed are mine, and do
20525 Mariani Ave. MS: 3-PK |    not necessarily represent those of my
Cupertino, CA 95014         |        employer, Apple Computer Inc."

hasses@prism.cs.orst.edu (Stephen Haase) (10/02/90)

 I am running a //ci w/6.05 and both games work perfectly on my machine so
 they obviously work w/system 6...maybe you have some init conflict...

cfj@isc.intel.com (Charlie Johnson) (10/06/90)

It works fine on version 6.0.4 on a SE/30.

--
Charles Johnson
Intel Scientific Computers, MS CO1-01