[comp.sys.mac.games] User Interface bug in Solarian 1.03

munson@sequoia.berkeley.edu (Ethan V. Munson) (10/11/90)

This reports a simple but irritating bug in the user interface for
Solarian.

If the Command-K key is hit while on the high score screen, the key
bindings for the various non-mouse operations are displayed.  The user
then has the choice of changing the key bindings or quitting.  The
displayed key binding for the "Scissors Snip" operation is "l".  The
actual key binding is the simultaneous striking of the "l", ";", and "'"
keys.  The on-line documentation does not state this, nor does it state
that any alternate key bindings are specified by the leftmost key of
three adjacent keys, which seems to be the way things work.

Ethan Munson
munson@cs.Berkeley.EDU

deadman@garnet.berkeley.edu (Ben Haller) (10/13/90)

  In message <28696@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU>, munson@sequoia.berkeley.edu
(Ethan V. Munson) writes:

> This reports a simple but irritating bug in the user interface for
> Solarian.
>
> If the Command-K key is hit while on the high score screen, the key
> bindings for the various non-mouse operations are displayed.  The user
> then has the choice of changing the key bindings or quitting.  The
> displayed key binding for the "Scissors Snip" operation is "l".  The
> actual key binding is the simultaneous striking of the "l", ";", and "'"
> keys.  The on-line documentation does not state this, nor does it state
> that any alternate key bindings are specified by the leftmost key of
> three adjacent keys, which seems to be the way things work.

Hmm.  First of all, I don't think it's true that the "actual" key binding
is "l", ";" and "'" struck simultaneously.  I think it's "l" and ";" -
the scissor sight and the scissor snip keys.  I think this is documented
on one of the help screens.  The "'" key has nothing to do with the
scissors in the default key configuration.
  In past versions of Solarian II, the "'" key was needed.  When I added
the ability to configure the keys, I took that out since it was really
unnecessarily complicated anyway.
  Second, alternate key bindings, as you call them, are *not* specified
by the leftmost key of three adjacent keys.  I have no idea how you came
to this conclusion, but you can make your scissor sight key the "/" key
and your scissor snip the "'" key (backquote intended, upper left of kbd.)
at opposite corners of the keyboard, and things should work fine.  And in
no case is a third key needed.
  If this is, in fact, not the way it works on your machine, send me
private mail.  But I have a feeling your post was mostly the result of
insufficient research and confusion caused by the way previous versions
of Solarian II worked.

-Ben Haller (deadman@garnet.berkeley.edu)