[comp.sys.mac.games] Ultima For Mac?

rawdon@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Michael Rawdon) (10/04/90)

Are any of the Ultima games after #3 available for the Macintosh?  I have
one of those standard SE/20 things...

I've always considered the Ultima series to be the best in computer gaming,
bar none.  I've been irked that the later games aren't available for the Mac.

Not that I really need another thing to waste time on... I just want it. :-)

--
			     Michael Rawdon
		Tulane University, New Orleans, Louisiana

jimvons@ashtate (Jim von Schmacht) (10/05/90)

As fas as I know, they never released anything past II and III (didn't pay
off the way they had expected).  However, a new game has come out which is
incredibly similar to Ultima but much better and much more difficult --
Taskmaker.  The world as large as that in Ultima with much more diverse
monsters/situations/treasures.

--
Jim von Schmacht    Senior Member, Project Test Staff    Ashton Tate Corporation
Disclaimer: Standard Issue

deichman@cod.NOSC.MIL (Shane D. Deichman) (10/05/90)

In article <1342@ashton.UUCP> jimvons@ashton.UUCP (Jim von Schmacht) writes:
>off the way they had expected).  However, a new game has come out which is
>incredibly similar to Ultima but much better and much more difficult --
>Taskmaker.  The world as large as that in Ultima with much more diverse
>monsters/situations/treasures.

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. It took me several weeks to complete
Ultima III (having to find the cards, their order, etc, not to mention
marks, Dawn, and so on).  A VERY challenging game!

On the other hand, Taskmaker can be accomplished in a couple of days
(I think I took three).  The world seems much smaller, and while there
are some very interesting items and mechanisms (I love the force fields
and switches!), I don't think it is on the same par as Ultima III.

Don't get me wrong -- Taskmaker is an incredible games, and has many
features not found in the Ultimas.  It is also a darker, more forboding
finale.  But in terms of "longevity", Ultima's got it beat by a few
lengths....

-shane d deichman

"The Ayatollah of Rock-and-Rollah!"

johnsone@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (10/05/90)

/* Written 12:35 pm  Oct  4, 1990 by jimvons@ashtate in comp.sys.mac.games */
 > As fas as I know, they never released anything past II and III (didn't pay
 > off the way they had expected).  However, a new game has come out which is
 > incredibly similar to Ultima but much better and much more difficult --
 > Taskmaker.  The world as large as that in Ultima with much more diverse
 > monsters/situations/treasures.

Are Ultima II & III the same on the Mac as on Apple II's (i.e. you have to do
the same things to win)?  I played them both on an old Apple II+ (I don't
recall if I actually completed both), so if the Mac versions are identical
to the Apple II versions (which were great!), there's no sense in me even
thinking about them.

rbrewer@reed.UUCP (Robert S. Brewer) (10/15/90)

In article <1342@ashton.UUCP> jimvons@ashton.UUCP (Jim von Schmacht) writes:
>As fas as I know, they never released anything past II and III (didn't pay
>off the way they had expected).  However, a new game has come out which is
>[...text deleted...]
>--
>Jim von Schmacht   Senior Member, Project Test Staff    Ashton Tate Corporation

I heard a rumor before Ultima VI came out that they were going to do a port of
VI to the Mac. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

I want Ultima VI for my Mac!
--
Robert S. Brewer                                        rbrewer@reed.bitnet or
rbrewer@reed.UUCP (tektronix!reed!rbrewer) or brewer@dragonfly.wri.com