[comp.sys.mac.games] Earl Weaver BB for Mac

252u3129@fergvax.unl.edu (Mike Gleason) (10/15/90)

Has anyone out there seen/have Earl Weaver Baseball from Electronic
Arts?  I have both Hardball and Microleague Baseball II for my mac plus,
and frankly, they both SUCK.  I've seen E'Weaver for the Amiga, and it's
just what I want... stats o' plenty, customizable, and actually fun to
play.  I've seen a listing for it from some mail-order joint in MacUser,
but other than that I don't know if it really exists, and we all know
how those mail-order places list in their brochures without it actually
being available yet (a la Stuffit Deluxe).  Is the mac version available
and live up to the Amiga version?

 * Mike Gleason                                      252u3129@fergvax.unl.edu
 * "Don't you f*ckin' look at me!" -- D. Hopper       cosc006@unlcdc2.unl.edu

sean@visix.com (Sean Trowbridge) (10/15/90)

In article <1990Oct15.091632.27380@hoss.unl.edu>,
252u3129@fergvax.unl.edu (Mike Gleason) writes:
> Has anyone out there seen/have Earl Weaver Baseball from Electronic
> Arts?

I just got a copy of Earl Weaver Baseball yesterday, and I must say I am
quite
disappointed by the port.  The mac version lacks several features found
in other
versions of the game (like team editing) which are more or less
essential to
the game.  The program runs only in B&W, and is limited to the small
screen
size of a Mac Plus/SE. (You can't even move any windows outside that
area.)
Also, the feel of the game is very un-mac-like.  The game interface is
much too
modal, and there are even non-mac menus in at least one place in the
game.

I haven't had much of a chance to play it yet, but it seems like an
enjoyable
game once you get past the initial shock of a lousy port.  I haven't
played
it enough to go into any details here.

P.S.  The game does run under MultiFinder, which is a plus.

--
Name: Sean Trowbridge  Job:Software Engineer   Quote: "Yo, Adrian." -
Employer: Visix Software Inc.                      Sylvester Stallone.

deichman@cod.NOSC.MIL (Shane D. Deichman) (10/15/90)

Mike --

  I was in Egghead Software in San Diego yesterday and I saw
a copy of Weaver Baseball for sale for $39.95.  I recently
ordered a copy from some company in the L.A. area (name esapes
me now -- I can get you a name and number later).

  When I do receive it, I'll post a review.  You are right
about HardBall!, though -- I can shut the computer out (or
no-hit him once in a while) throwing the same pitch down the
middle of the plate every single time.  Best I've done is
a no-no with just 34 pitches....

(I guess they want you to use your imagination!)

-shane d deichman

plague@milton.u.washington.edu (Jack Brown) (10/16/90)

In article <1990Oct15.091632.27380@hoss.unl.edu> 252u3129@fergvax.unl.edu (Mike Gleason) writes:
>Has anyone out there seen/have Earl Weaver Baseball from Electronic
>Arts?  I have both Hardball and Microleague Baseball II for my mac plus,
>and frankly, they both SUCK.  I've seen E'Weaver for the Amiga, and it's
>just what I want... stats o' plenty, customizable, and actually fun to
				      ^^^^^^^^^^^^
Don't get EWB if you want to make/modify teams.  There is a store here in
Seattle that will rent you software to evaluate.  I am very thankful they
do this since, from reading the box, I got the impression that I could
create and modify teams to my heart's content.  That changed, however,
when I got to the little Macintosh manual that said those features are
not there in the Macintosh.  There was no explanation why.  It is also
slow on the animation.

Overall:	Not much to recommend.  Avoid like the plague if you
		want to create/manage your own teams!

deichman@cod.NOSC.MIL (Shane D. Deichman) (10/17/90)

In article <9330@milton.u.washington.edu> plague@milton.u.washington.edu (Jack Brown) writes:
>>Has anyone out there seen/have Earl Weaver Baseball from Electronic
>>Arts?  I have both Hardball and Microleague Baseball II for my mac plus,
>>and frankly, they both SUCK.  I've seen E'Weaver for the Amiga, and it's
>>just what I want... stats o' plenty, customizable, and actually fun to
>				      ^^^^^^^^^^^^
>Don't get EWB if you want to make/modify teams.  There is a store here in
>Seattle that will rent you software to evaluate.  I am very thankful they
>do this since, from reading the box, I got the impression that I could
>create and modify teams to my heart's content.  That changed, however,
>when I got to the little Macintosh manual that said those features are
>not there in the Macintosh.  There was no explanation why.  It is also
>slow on the animation.
>
>Overall:	Not much to recommend.  Avoid like the plague if you
>		want to create/manage your own teams!

I would have to agree with you -- it IS a disappointment (I just got it
earlier this week).

However, as compared with HardBall!, it is a DEFINITE improvement!  It is
much more realistic in its execution, it allows you to either play or
manage your team (different options allowed on each), and it even updates
statistics and keeps a running record of the ten teams it does provide.

Also, there are software disks available to expand your team database.
I believe these other disks will expand the leagues and rosters and
allow you to play with, say, the 1989 Oakland A's or the 1987 Royals.
One disk for each season....

It isn't all that I wanted, but it is a DEFINITE improvement over what
I had before...  Be sure you've got system 6.0.4 to run it.

-sdd