[comp.sys.mac.games] Another Sim City Question

lorner@csuchico.edu (Lance Orner) (10/14/90)

A question that I've always had about Sim City:

If you have a rail line in your city (which is what I mostly have), if that
rail turns a corner, and a road comes and tries to connect at that corner,
the display does not show the road connecting with the rail at the corner,
but of the rail turning the corner and the road just comming to an end.

If anybody understands the above, is the road actually connected to the
rail for the Sims, but the graphic can't show it, or not?  I have a lot of
these places where the road meets the rail but can't cross it, but I don't
know if they are actually connected?

At least nobody has to rely on me to orgainize _their_ city.  :-)

Thanks.
--
--Lance M. Orner             |  Without the software to run the
California St. Univ., Chico  |  hardware, you get _nowhere_!

tv0c+@andrew.cmu.edu (Thomas Edward Van Lenten) (10/16/90)

On 15-Oct-90 in Re: Another Sim City Question
user Robert Firth@sei.cmu.edu writes:
>. when two railway tunnels cross, they don't seem to join
>. when a bridge crosses a tunnel, it doesn't seem to
I thought that the manual said that the bridges and tunnels couldn't
intsect.  They had to be striaght lines to land.  The origional I'm not
sure about, but I don't think that the rails and roads can join.

TVL

firth@sei.cmu.edu (Robert Firth) (10/18/90)

In article <9062@fy.sei.cmu.edu> firth@sei.cmu.edu (Robert Firth) writes:

[Sim City]

>. when a bridge crosses a tunnel, it doesn't seem to

Somebody queried this, so I checked it again last night.  Here's
the result.  We assume, throughout, a bridge going over water one way
(eg N-S) and a tunnel going under the other way (eg E-W)

(a) The two do not join (obviously)

(b) if you build the bridge first, you can't bore a tunnel under it.
    The tunnel ends where it seems to meet the bridge

(c) if you build the tunnel first, you can build a bridge over it.
    The display leaves a gap in the bridge, but traffic seems to flow
    as if the gap weren't there