[comp.sys.mac.games] Falcon Help

chase@olympus.Berkeley.EDU (Chris Chase) (10/20/90)

I have FALCON v2.2 for my SE/30. I have a difficult time flying. I am
at the point where I can shoot migs down at the second level, but I have
only landed successfully once or twice at that level. Does anyone have any
tips on landing and flying the plane? I use the MouseII configuration.
Does the mentioned joystick help very much? How much does it cost?
My problem seems to be that I can't line up the plane exactly where it should
be. Also, when I am dogfighting, I don't do much else except turn and decelerate
until the mig is in my sights. Any tips there?

Has anyone tried dogfighting over a Ethernet network? I haven't been able
to get it to work on a cluster of MacIIx's here that uses ethernet. The
documentation says that Falcon should work over Appletalk.

In the new fixed range radar mode the is a number readout in the lower
lefthand corner that is like: 352o 20
the "o" being a degree sign. There is no explanation of what that reading
is.

Thanks for your help,

Chris Chase
chase@ee.princeton.edu

earl@squid.cognet.ucla.edu (Earl Williams) (10/23/90)

In article <3471@idunno.Princeton.EDU> chase@olympus.Berkeley.EDU (Chris Chase) writes:
>I have FALCON v2.2 for my SE/30. I have a difficult time flying. I am
>at the point where I can shoot migs down at the second level, but I have
>only landed successfully once or twice at that level. Does anyone have any
>tips on landing and flying the plane? I use the MouseII configuration.
>Does the mentioned joystick help very much? How much does it cost?
>My problem seems to be that I can't line up the plane exactly where it should
>be. Also, when I am dogfighting, I don't do much else except turn and decelerate
>until the mig is in my sights. Any tips there?

Landing requires the simultaneous juggling of four flight
characteristics, not all of which are well explained in the manual.
1) Land on the runway.  Due (presumably) to round-off errors, the plane
   drifts right on approach (this goes for lining up Maverick missiles
   too) compared to the radar sight image.  Line up on the left hand
   edge of the runway, or even a little off it, while approaching.
   I find it useful to carry an extra Maverick and use its video image
   to sight the runway better.  Just don't fire it! 8-)
2) Reduce airspeed appropriately.  You will stall and crash if you go
   under 100 knots or so, but don't hit the runway at over 150 knots.
   120 is ideal.
3) Have an appropriate angle of attack (AOA).  This is pretty well
   described in the manual (how to see what your current AOA is), but
   what isn't explained that well (IMHO) is that AOA is a direct function
   of airspeed.  If you're going slowly, your AOA will _automatically_
   increase to an appropriate level (8-13 degrees for landing, I think).
   Use the trim adjustment only at the last minute, as a last resort.
   Try to control AOA entirely via airspeed.
4) Not described that well in the manual is that you have to set the
   plane down very gently.  This means _vertical_ speed, which you have
   no direct measure of.  All you have to go on is the digital altimeter
   and 'feet per update'.  1-3 feet per update will not crash you, but
   anything more than that and the bizarre Falcon crash decision criteria
   may judge your perfectly good landing as a crash.

Other landing notes: I don't find the landing angle beacon to be that
helpful, and you _can_ legally land on any runway and in any direction
at your airport.  I often come in from the north, and if I don't like the
approach (or mess it up), I can just fly past, bank left into a 270 degree
turn, and land to the west.  Take the manual's advice to _not force a
landing_.  If everything isn't just right, pull up, kick in your
afterburners, and try again on a different pass.  Just don't expect the
guy in the tower to appreciate the noise.

Mouse vs. keyboard opinion: there is no way I could fly Falcon with the
mouse.  I use the keyboard, which works fine.

Dogfighting tips: spinning around may be effective, but it doesn't work
too well when fighting more than one MiG.  When spinning around chasing
tails, try a vertical loop (up or down).  While the MiG stays in the
horizontal loop, you may be able to roll right in behind it for an
easy kill.  Other than that, try the maneuvers in the manual; they work.
Earl M. Williams       ?8-)      UCLA Psychology Department
earl@cognet.ucla.edu             2344B Franz Hall
"No matter where you go, there you are."   -Buckaroo Banzai