[comp.sys.mac.games] Why the crashes?

bruceh@mentor.com (Bruce Holm) (10/24/90)

I have a Mac IIci running System 6.0.5.  I try to run many of my games that
used to work fine on my older Mac Plus and all I get is a crash...ID=1.
Using INIT CDEV 3.0, I turned off all inits, then turned off the cache RAM
in the General CDEV, and try but it didn't help.
Games like
   Air Traffic Controller 4.0
   Continuum 1.01
   MacGolf
   etc.

Does anyone out there know why the Bus Errors (ID=1)?
How can I get around this problem?

Thanks!

--Bruce
--
*** These are my opinions and not necessarily those of MGC ***
Bruce Holm                     /  (503) 626-7000

tjet@upas.IFA.Hawaii.Edu (Tjet Sun) (10/25/90)

In article <1990Oct24.010917.26791@mentor.com>, bruceh@mentor.com (Bruce
Holm) writes:
> I have a Mac IIci running System 6.0.5.  I try to run many of my games that
> used to work fine on my older Mac Plus and all I get is a crash...ID=1.
>
> Does anyone out there know why the Bus Errors (ID=1)?

No solution, sorry, but the November 1990 issue of Macworld has an
article about "The Vise of Progress" describing some of the reasons
why some software has problems with the IIci.  Rather long article, so
I won't type it in  :-), but it could be either because Apple started
using PMMU in the IIci , or (more likely) the games are coded for a
16MHz clock rate and not the 25MHz.  In either case check with the
game vendor.

Good luck....

   Tjet
Tjet Sun, Institute for Astronomy, 2680 Woodlawn Drive, Honolulu, Hawaii 96822
Internet: tjet@upas.ifa.hawaii.edu                   Bitnet: tjet@uhifa.bitnet
Voice: (808) 956-8718                                      Fax: (808) 988-2790